Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   String Piecing on adding machine paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/string-piecing-adding-machine-paper-t56940.html)

SherrieDLux 10-03-2010 08:00 AM

I just love coming here, so many really great idea you all have...I wish I could see a picture of the paper piecing strip, and how it all goes together...great project for my grand daughter...whoooooooooooooeeeeeeee

carolaug 10-03-2010 09:34 AM

I have some tutorials in my blog thriftyideastoday.com for strip quilts or table runners - example the 9 patch or 12 patch - this is such a great idea using the small scraps on the old register paper.

mygirl66 10-04-2010 04:28 AM

I found 2- 3" rolls in a bag for $1.00 at Goodwill on Friday, then had to stop at Gordon Food Service, and found a box of 12 marked down for $4.90! I am stocked up & ready to go! Thank you Sue!

Sue Fish 10-04-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I found 2- 3" rolls in a bag for $1.00 at Goodwill on Friday, then had to stop at Gordon Food Service, and found a box of 12 marked down for $4.90! I am stocked up & ready to go! Thank you Sue!

wow now I will wait to see waht you make!!!

Lacelady 10-20-2010 05:57 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I finally tracked down some 3in rolls over here. I could only persuade the shop to sell me two - otherwise they wanted me to buy a whole box (I might go back for them later). Anyway, here is my effort so far.

I addapted a box that originally held a block of note paper to hold my roll. Two holes drilled in it, and an old plastic knitting needle did the trick (I cut it to length).

A couple of large hair grips are keeping things under control at the other trimmed end.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110122[/ATTACH]

Made a start on my Christmas projects
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110265[/ATTACH]

My adapted roll holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110266[/ATTACH]

I think you could drill a plastic holder too if you had the right drill bit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110267[/ATTACH]

This is the holder as I bought it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110357[/ATTACH]

And with the cut down plastic knitting needle in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110437[/ATTACH]

Shemjo 10-20-2010 07:38 AM

Really kewl! Lesley. I need to try that. I am working on a crumb quilt.

Quilting Nana 10-20-2010 07:46 AM

I love it. Now I am going to have to go back to thrift store to find one of those boxes.
Thanks.

Lacelady 10-20-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
I love it. Now I am going to have to go back to thrift store to find one of those boxes.
Thanks.

Sue had a nice holder for her roll, and I had a small cardboard box I could have used, but I like this better as there wasn't anyway I was going to be able to find one like hers.

I also found it easier to cut up scraps in front of the TV so that I had a good box of them to choose from, rather than doing it in front of the machine, which seems to hold up production. I think I could get addicted to these strips.

Jingle 10-20-2010 06:55 PM

Very creative, don't think I would have thought of that. I don't watch much TV, I spend most evenings on this quilt board. Looks like a great way to use up small bits.

sandpat 10-21-2010 05:21 AM

Great idea Lesley for the little box. I had a plastic box like that....its disappeared somewhere..I think your Christmas strips will be fun to work with, they look great!