Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   String Piecing on adding machine paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/string-piecing-adding-machine-paper-t56940.html)

DoxieMom 08-01-2010 02:13 PM

What a great idea! I don't use an adding machine any more, but I have several rolls of paper that I didn't have a use for... and now I do! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
I have done miles and miles of the string piecing this way for borders, quilt blocks, etc...I use 3" wide paper and can when done, cut pieces for many many different patterns.
I like it sort of wonky rather than each piece cut exactly the same and sewn straight..but you can do either
I start with my paper in a box or in the pic you can see I use the thread holder...anything to keep it from rolling all over.
I cut my scraps anywhere from about 1" wide to 1 1/2" wide and about 3 1/2" long.
First you lay one piece right side up on the end of your paper...lay the next strip face down on that and sew as shown using 1/4" seam allowance.. Flip it back and finger press and then lay the next piece face down on that and repeat...I like to sew them at a little angle here and there to make them "wonky".....continue on as long as you like but I find normally I stopped at about 1 yard of the piecing and trimmed it as shown and then rolled it up and continued on...make sense?

Playtime7 08-01-2010 02:20 PM

ME, TOOO!!!!!

Quilting Nana 08-01-2010 02:36 PM

Sue,
Thanks for the Tut.

BizyStitches 08-01-2010 03:32 PM

Okay, I'm confused and it seems everyone else gets it. LOL.. not unusual for me. But what do you do with the paper on the back side. I assume you are doing this for binding right?

quilting grammy 08-01-2010 03:56 PM

do you sew the fabric to the paper ? why do you need the paper ? does it stay on the fabric for ever ?

Sue Fish 08-01-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by quilting grammy
do you sew the fabric to the paper ? why do you need the paper ? does it stay on the fabric for ever ?

The paper is your foundation..you use it to keep all those little pieces flat and not get all wonky and you take the paper off when done...you can use fabric for a foundation also...good for using up fabrics you don't want but I like the paper ...can always find other things to do with fabrics

LogCabinLady 08-01-2010 04:20 PM

You can also use muslim or old sheets and then you leave it on. It does make the quilt heaver, but really nice.

Originally Posted by Sue Fish

Originally Posted by quilting grammy

The paper is your foundation..you use it to keep all those little pieces flat and not get all wonky and you take the paper off when done...you can use fabric for a foundation also...good for using up fabrics you don't want but I like the paper ...can always find other things to do with fabrics

mar32428 08-01-2010 06:06 PM

This is the same idea as paper piecing. You sew and flip, sew and flip. The advantage of the paper is to keep any bias edges from stretching so you can sew a strip cut in any direction. I keep the paper on till I have the strips sewn in place, again to avoid stretching any bias. Works great.

earthwalker 08-01-2010 06:11 PM

Brilliant idea and keeps everything all neat and organised. Thanks!

Ada Shiela 08-01-2010 06:33 PM

An excellent idea Sue, which I've thought of before for templates etc, and even the old Telex machine rolls of paper would be about 8" wide if we can find them nowadays, for making long templates for quilting frame (Pantograms!) - I'll be going to Jackson's Art & School Supplies tomorrow - forgot to look when I last purchased something from there.