Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html)

newfiegirl 05-09-2010 10:37 AM

Get aook on Strip Quilting. I saw a background square (10-1/2") as the base. Pin a strip (use the widest)diagonally to the base, put another strip (any width) right side to right side and stitch a 1/4" seam. Press. Lay another strip (again any width) on the second strip right side to right side and stitch. Continue until you get to the end of the base. Make the last strip a wide one so it doesn't get lost at the end. Do the same on the other side. Square off. You now have a 10" block. I'm not sure how you can put these blocks together; a book on strip quilting or your local quilt shop should be able to help you. Good Luck!

Woodster 05-09-2010 10:46 AM

Sounds like a FUN summer project - they'll be able to make several, as it goes so quickly! You'll be able to reduce and restock your stash a couple of times - what fun!

Woodster 05-09-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Here is mine.

Very, very, pretty!!

burnsk 05-09-2010 05:56 PM

Well I made 3 tops this weekend using this method. WOW - it does go quickly. Camera doesn't take the best pictures so will try later this week with sons camera. Going to a quilt retreat this coming weekend so hopefullly will get the borders on. They did come out to an unusual size but still cozy for snuggling on the couch or lazyboy. I still have to square up and iron the tops. They were fun to do.

sewbeeit42 05-12-2010 12:26 PM

I really like this and wanted to try something "super fast" and super easy as I am "brain dead" right now. I discovered that not all jelly rolls have 40 strips, however. Some only have 20 - 2 each of 10 different fabrics. I just have to buy another roll, but learned something else in the process.

fromthenestdesigns 05-12-2010 12:59 PM

You are right. Not all Jelly-rolls are the same. This pattern is based on Moda Jelly-rolls. It's really frustrating when people try to pass off "fake" Jelly-rolls. Good luck!

omak 05-12-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by fromthenestdesigns
You are right. Not all Jelly-rolls are the same. This pattern is based on Moda Jelly-rolls. It's really frustrating when people try to pass off "fake" Jelly-rolls. Good luck!

Boy! That is really the TRUTH! I learned how to read the "small printing" on the first super fast jelly roll quilt ... almost all jelly roll patterns are based on a 40-strip roll. Too bad that quilt stores won't keep up the standard, but we are learning <g>, aren't we? <wave>

sabcoke 05-12-2010 07:51 PM

Thanks for the great idea. It would also work sewing scrap strips together and doing the same thing. Good scrap quilt idea too. I have so many strips and was trying to figure out how to use them. Have never used a jelly roll, always seemed so expensive. I would just buy 1/4 -1/2 yard of different material and cut the strips. Lots left over.
Now I have my scrap quilt idea! Thanks!

SunAngel 05-13-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by sabcoke
Thanks for the great idea. It would also work sewing scrap strips together and doing the same thing. Good scrap quilt idea too. I have so many strips and was trying to figure out how to use them. Have never used a jelly roll, always seemed so expensive. I would just buy 1/4 -1/2 yard of different material and cut the strips. Lots left over.

I have such a hard time cutting my own strips. They don't seem to come out very straight. I must be doing something wrong when I try.
This quilt looks like super fun to make...however I am still not quite understanding it all together. I am determined to figure this out though. I like it. It would make a perfect quilt to take to the beach.
Brenda

Woodster 05-13-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SunAngel

Originally Posted by sabcoke

I have such a hard time cutting my own strips. They don't seem to come out very straight. I must be doing something wrong when I try.
This quilt looks like super fun to make...however I am still not quite understanding it all together. I am determined to figure this out though. I like it. It would make a perfect quilt to take to the beach.
Brenda

Do you have one of the suction cup handles that you put on your ruler? I found that it REALLY helps to hold your ruler in one place. I also put some velcro dots on the ruler bottom for added stability. (I understand sand paper dots work well, too).
You can still go off track, but not as often - and slower cutting really helps, too.