Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html)

Ms Grace 04-30-2010 11:33 AM

omak,
Love the colors! :-)
Turned out great.
Isn't it quick?

omak 04-30-2010 11:42 AM

absolutely the quickest! And, I think well worth the effort and FUN! SPEED quilting ALL the way <wave>

sewjean 04-30-2010 11:45 AM

I am a hands on or have to see to understand easier. Great quilt & tuorial. Thanks!!

omak 04-30-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
I bought at a sale today, a roll of 40 4.5" strips. Would that work? Is that an overweight jelly-roll? (Jam or Preserves?)

That is an unusual size, but it sure would work! However, I would think you would have a better use for that much fabric! It would be a very big quilt top ... 4.5 x 40 = 180 inches divided by 36 = five yards of fabric? ... how good was your sale? Did you know you were buying five yards of fabric? <chatting cathy here <g>) LOL <wave>

omak 04-30-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sewze
ANOTHER IDEA FOR JELLY ROLL STRIPS:I used a part of a batik jelly roll to make a small QAYG wall hanging with the strips on the diagonal to hang on the family room side of our bedroom door; it's revrsible and we like it. I think I'm going to use the balance of the jelly roll for this quilt project. Only I will cut the strips shorter so that it looks more scrappy. Jinnie

I have control issues <g> if you cut the strips in half, then how do you line them up to start stitching them back together? I will have to try one of those, too! LOL <wave> of <g> you will upload a picture for us, eh?

Sewze 04-30-2010 12:54 PM

I am unable to do any sewing at the present time due to surgery on my right rotator cuff and a split tear in the bicep tendon and other problems in the arm.......I have to type with index finger of my left hand....LOL As soon as I get back to sewing, I will post pix.

sew cornie 04-30-2010 01:05 PM

This is great! I've had 2 Xmas jelly rolls that I got back in '08 and had planned for this exact look for a bed quilt . . . only I figured I'd have to sew ends together, measure length, cut, then sew strips together, and repeat. Very time consuming. Wasn't looking forward to that and that's why I haven't done it yet. I LOVE how easy this will be to get exactly what I've pictured in my head for a long time now but in a quick and easy way. Thanks so much to you both for the written and pictorial tutes!

Ragann63 04-30-2010 01:20 PM

I've seen jelly rolls anywhere from 30 to 60 strips! Just look at the measurements before you buy.

Woodster 04-30-2010 03:15 PM

Noooo, I didn't know I got such a good deal!! The pack was originally $12.95 with 60% off - $5.18 for the pack. Not bad!!
I haven't unrolled it yet to see what's in it. Well, guess what - I just opened it - there are only 17 pieces - not 40 - the package obviously was marked wrong - oh well, it's still a good deal. The pieces are each 4.5 x 40" - ah, that's where the 40 comes in. How long are the usual jelly roll pieces? I'll make this work somehow!

omak 04-30-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I've seen jelly rolls anywhere from 30 to 60 strips! Just look at the measurements before you buy.

<g> Truer words were never spoken - - I am on the prowl for those 60 strip jelly rolls <g> <wave>