Rhonda's Dresden Kaleidoscope Tutorial >

Rhonda's Dresden Kaleidoscope Tutorial

Rhonda's Dresden Kaleidoscope Tutorial

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 PM

I just emailed you. Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 PM
MCH

Very pretty ... keeps the eye moving.
I just had a "light bulb moment". If you have access to a copier, lay your fabric on it and make several copies (b&w or color; doesn't make much difference). Then, using the template, trace around various placement options for the blades, cut them out (perhaps 5 of the 10)and arrange them so as to give you an idea of what your finished kscope would look like and go with the one you like. If you're one who is "fussy-cut challenged", this little technique could save some time and frustration (i.e. would like to know how it would look before I cut into the fabric) .

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this with this particular block / project, but I think I will. As I said, it was "light bulb momonent" as I was reading through this thread.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=MCH;7232065]Very pretty ... keeps the eye moving.
If you have access to a copier, lay your fabric on it and make several copies (b&w or color; doesn't make much difference). Then, using the template, trace around various placement options for the blades, cut them out (perhaps 5 of the 10)and arrange them so as to give you an idea of what your finished kscope would look like and go with the one you like. If you're one who is "fussy-cut challenged", this little technique could save some time and frustration (i.e. would like to know how it would look before I cut into the fabric) .

I use paper alot to preview things. I have done this for a lady who wasn't sure how to cut her fabric. I find 3 blades will give you a good idea of what that DK will look like.

I recommend making sure you have an element at the bottom 1" of the blade and in the middle and in the upper 1 1/2" of the template.

I look for blades or leaves or flowers in the bottom section. Something that sticks up and wont' blend into a blur when the blades are sewn together.
In the middle you can lay the edge of your template through the center of a large flower and it will be a great repeat. Remember what is on the right of your template will meet up with what is on the left side of your template.
I like to make sure the top of the template has something interesting but remember you will lose a seam allowance at the top. You will lose more than 1/4" if you needle turn the edge or make a hotpad out of it etc.

Also remember to consider colors in your fabric. If you have a color that stands out in your fabric try to put that in your blade. Make sure you are using a spot that is not too busy as it will all blend instead of stand out.

The biggest no no - don't use fabric that doesn't have enough variety in the pattern. I have done some that the pattern is too repetitive as in small sunflowers or something that lays in a row and is the same thing in each row. You are better off with something that has med to large flowers and or leaves etc.

It just takes some practice to learn what to look for. Paisleys are one of my favorites and med flower bouquets and leaves make great patterns
Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=MCH;7232065]Very pretty ... keeps the eye moving.
If you have access to a copier, lay your fabric on it and make several copies (b&w or color; doesn't make much difference). Then, using the template, trace around various placement options for the blades, cut them out (perhaps 5 of the 10)and arrange them so as to give you an idea of what your finished kscope would look like and go with the one you like. If you're one who is "fussy-cut challenged", this little technique could save some time and frustration (i.e. would like to know how it would look before I cut into the fabric) .

I use paper alot to preview things. I have done this for a lady who wasn't sure how to cut her fabric. I find 3 blades will give you a good idea of what that DK will look like. You can sew paper just as you do fabric. You can also iron it so you can do a trial run with the paper blades.

I recommend making sure you have an element at the bottom 1" of the blade and in the middle and in the upper 1 1/2" of the template.

I look for blades or leaves or flowers in the bottom section. Something that sticks up and wont' blend into a blur when the blades are sewn together.
In the middle you can lay the edge of your template through the center of a large flower and it will be a great repeat. Remember what is on the right of your template will meet up with what is on the left side of your template.
I like to make sure the top of the template has something interesting but remember you will lose a seam allowance at the top. You will lose more than 1/4" if you needle turn the edge or make a hotpad out of it etc.

Also remember to consider colors in your fabric. If you have a color that stands out in your fabric try to put that in your blade. Make sure you are using a spot that is not too busy as it will all blend instead of stand out.

The biggest no no - don't use fabric that doesn't have enough variety in the pattern. I have done some that the pattern is too repetitive as in small sunflowers or something that lays in a row and is the same thing in each row. You are better off with something that has med to large flowers and or leaves etc.

It just takes some practice to learn what to look for. Paisleys are one of my favorites and med flower bouquets and leaves make great patterns
Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

If you want to send me a picture I can show you what I would cut out on that fabric. I've done that for people before.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Beautiful! Melanie

http://quiltersenjoycolor.blogspot.ca
Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 AM

Very pretty
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Thank you. A friend was doing these, but using 18 blades. Like yours much better
Old 06-27-2015, 04:41 PM

Rhonda, you are so gracious to share your tutorials with us. Please send me the template to me at 1587 Watson Loop, Pikeville, TN 37367. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how to send a private message.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewmuchlove View Post
Rhonda, you are so gracious to share your tutorials with us. Please send me the template to me at 1587 Watson Loop, Pikeville, TN 37367. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how to send a private message.
Click on my name. you will then see a list below my name. Click on private message. You should see a new window where you can type your message. Then click on submit message. I still need your whole name instead of a board name. thanks!! Rhonda