Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Scrap Rug >

Scrap Rug

Scrap Rug

Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Linda, to keep the cord tight when I am making bowls this way I just wind enough to get the needle started in the cord. Then, with the needle in the down position and in the cord, I start wrapping the rest of the cord while keeping slight tension on it all. Sometimes I end up halfway across the room!

Kas
How long do you cut your strips. With the other methods I have used they specify a length. It seems if they were too long they would get tangled.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM

I have made the bowls and coasters but never thought of a rug.
Okay another project in my mind to do.
When I make the bowls, I use a small black spring paper clip.
They hold tighter than a clothes pin and won't come off if you put it aside for a while. I also use a denim needle.
** Also, to the lady that wondered about how much goes under the neck of the machine...you work from the inside out and so you would only have the round you are sewing on under the machine neck. Hope this helps :)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Could I use raphia? I have lots of raphia that I was going to use for a project but now - its left over. Just wondering.
Thanks,
Scherrie
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM

I have been wanting baskets but they are so expensive I cant get all I could use I will have to try this! is it just as easy to do square?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by quilter53
Originally Posted by Kas
Linda, to keep the cord tight when I am making bowls this way I just wind enough to get the needle started in the cord. Then, with the needle in the down position and in the cord, I start wrapping the rest of the cord while keeping slight tension on it all. Sometimes I end up halfway across the room!

Kas
How long do you cut your strips. With the other methods I have used they specify a length. It seems if they were too long they would get tangled.
I was cutting the strips the width of the fabric, but if you are doing a scrap rug and not a planned rug, then you would just use whatever length you have. I don't cut the cord until I get to the end of the bowl. And the gal who taught the class I took suggested unwrapping the whole bunch of cord and then make a ball of it like you do with yarn. To keep that ball from unwrapping while I am sewing or wrapping fabric strips, I stick a flower headed pin or two into it at the point where the loose end is. Am I just confusing you more? I have a hard time getting my thoughts across on paper, sometimes.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM

No, I understand. You are making good sense. I would have to try it to see which way would be best for me. Maybe both? :)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 AM

Great tips, thanks for sharing!!!!! love the idea of using a lg. blk. clip....after I read it I had that "DUH" moment, makes perfect sense.
Quilting Arts show last week had a demo on using the same methods and it seeing it made it much easier. She used a zigzag stitch and the project went together really quick. She was making bowls but almost the same methods would apply.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Dear Gcathy,
I just had to comment on your personal quote. I absolutely love it! Where did you come up with it?? I'm going to send it to my pastor; he'll probably come up with a sermon on it! :lol:
Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

I am going to try this (soon) what kind of thread did you use? That is so cool, love it. Thanks for the tute:)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM

I have never seen a rug made like this. I've seen commercial ones but not hand made ones. I do make twined rugs but they are done on a frame. I love your rugs.