Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Scrap Rug >

Scrap Rug

Scrap Rug

Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
You can wrap as you go or do it while you are watching TV then sit and sew a lot at once. I have a pin through every spot I switch fabric so it gets a little poky.

If you are making a rug it really helps to have a flat surface so you don't curve up.

If you want a basket once it is as big as you want turn it and go straight up the sides.
This is so awesome...I am going to bookmark this one!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM

I wrapped my first piece of rope tonight. I tried a 1 1/2 strip and a 1" strip. I like the lookof the 1". Now to figure out how much fabric I need to make one large enough to go under my kitchen table. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by grammo013
I wrapped my first piece of rope tonight. I tried a 1 1/2 strip and a 1" strip. I like the look of the 1". Now to figure out how much fabric I need to make one large enough to go under my kitchen table. Any suggestions?
That's a very big project to start with. I would recommend a smaller project first. 100 ft of rope with cotton fabric will make a rug about 18" x 24" . I also made one with a thin flannel that measures 19" x 28". You can gauge how far a strip will go by measuring the length of a strip of fabric and see how many inches it will wrap around the rope. I just wrapped a strip of fabric 3/4" x 20" and it covered approximately 10" of rope- so if you have 100 ft of rope you will need at least 200 ft of strips. you can figure that out by ---one yd of fabric is 36 x 42 . you like 1" strips. multiply 36 x 42 = 1512 inches divided by 12 = 126 ft per one yard of fabric. 3/4" wide is my favorite width. any wider and it wrinkles up on me. thinner than that it covers less rope. I use clip clothespins to hold the strips in place when i put the project down. I also use the gluesticks( not the type to use with a glue gun) that the kids use on paper projects to attach the strips together. It's non toxic and it's washable. If you use selvedges from fabric I keep the smooth edge exposed so there's no threads from a cut edge exposed. I also use old clothing-flannel shirts, blouses that won't be worn again and cut them up into strips. I have used strips as small as 4" long. the glue stick works great on them.just press the glue stick like you would butter a piece of bread on the edge of the strip and stick it to the piece hanging from the rope press them together with your finger and stat the wrap. It really is so easy. I'm working on one that will match a quilt I'm working on by using all the scraps. This is a fun project. I hope I helped. Anne
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM

This is a great tutorial. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM

wow- these rugs are so pretty- thanks for sharing!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Thank you for the info. Wouldn't you get the cut edge showing no matter how you cut the fabric?

I will try the 3/4" strip tonight.

I can do this while watching tv late at night.

:thumbup: :D
Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

thanks Mary! I'll be trying this out soon, I've been wanting to do one for quite awhile now!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM

Thank you for the info. Wouldn't you get the cut edge showing no matter how you cut the fabric?

I will try the 3/4" strip tonight.

I can do this while watching tv late at night.

:thumbup: :D
Hi, yes if you're cutting a whole piece of fabric. Some only use the selvedges and there's only one cut side. oops- some fabrics have a fuzzy edge but it doesn't fray. Anne
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Good I thought I had done something wrong. For a big rug I could not use just the selvage it would cost to much.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Good I thought I had done something wrong. For a big rug I could not use just the selvage it would cost to much.
Hi, No, not to make one of all selvedges! Some throw them in the trash. I trim all my fabric of the selvedges and save them for a project just like this. I include some of the color when trimming and it ends up looking like a spiral stripe. You just add them to the rest of the cuttings. and intersperse them with all the others. How would you clean something that big? The smaller rugs can be machine washed gently and the lay them flat to dry. Anne