Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Second Half of the Drunkard's Path Bookmark Class >

Second Half of the Drunkard's Path Bookmark Class

Second Half of the Drunkard's Path Bookmark Class

Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Power Poster

Ok now you have your Drunkard’s Path Blocks made and you need to sew those D P blocks together into a bookmark top.

So the first thing I do is lay them out into the pattern I want to use.

The layout of my bookmark
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41869[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41869.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Power Poster

Now lay two blocks face to face and fold back the background fabric to reveal the quarter circles(QC). (This is only for those blocks where the QCs meet and not for the ones that are on opposites corners.)

They should be face to face. Now you could just sew the two blocks together but this step will make sure the QCs will meet where they are supposed to.

I take the time to tack the edge of these two QCs at the ¼” seam allowance. This is so you can be sure they will match as well as possible when you sew the blocks together. I tack instead of pin as I feel it keeps things from moving better than pins do.

Sew all your blocks together this way and then sew them into your bookmark top.

Fold the background fabric back to see the QC
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41870[/ATTACH]

tack the QCs together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41871[/ATTACH]

sew the blocks together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41870.jpe   attachment-41871.jpe   attachment-41872.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Power Poster

When you make your blocks:

You can use a 1 ½” or 1 ¼” template to make your blocks (use a smaller circle for 1 ¼”). When I use the 1 ¼” I always add borders. But if you use the 1 ½” I don’t usually add borders.

This is a personal decision based on how big you want your bookmark to be. I like to aim for 2 1/2” x 7 ½” but it varies depending on the size of the blocks and whether you use borders or not. The bookmark size is entirely up to you!!

For our purposes here I am going to show you some border ideas but you can choose to not use any borders. Please remember my methods are my cut down shortcut. You can get tiny borders by cutting down to the size you want and still have room for a ¼” seam allowance.

First I want to explain that if the bookmark is shorter than I want I just add a strip to each end but not on the sides. Or if I do use borders on the sides then the strips or borders on the end will be deeper than the borders on the sides. You can use sashing between borders also to lengthen your bookmark.

Add extensions on the ends
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41513[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41513.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Power Poster

You can add borders on all 4 sides and trim to the size you want

Or you could use 2 borders. It looks harder than it is because you sew to the top and have that top to hold while you cut the border.
I cut the first border to ½” before I add the next border. Then I add the second border and trim it also to ½” but if that intimidates you- you can cut it to 5/8” or ¾’. Remember the size it ends up is up to you. Your bookmark does not have to be any particular size. Whatever size it comes out as is just fine.

Here I decided to do my borders slightly differant. This is one of my favorite looks. I sewed the two borders together and then trimmed the dk one to 1/2". Then I sewed the dk border to the bookmark top. Repeat for the other side. Then trim the ends and add the double borders to the ends. trim. Iron all seams open for less bulk.

Tip: I trimmed the light green after I added the borders.

The two borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41873[/ATTACH]

Both side borders on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41874[/ATTACH]

Add t he borders on the end
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41875[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41873.jpe   attachment-41874.jpe   attachment-41875.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Power Poster

Now on to the backing. Lay your top down face to face on your backing fabric. Pin in place at least in the middle and towards each end. Don’t put your pins in the borders unless you want to remove them as you sew. I hate removing pins so I put them about an inch from the end.

If your border blends with the back fabric slip a white piece of copy paper between them. Now trim the backing to match your top.

I don’t use any batting because I want the bookmark to be as flat as possible.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Power Poster

If you are not using any borders sew a basting seam along one edge so the block seams are caught in the basting seam and won’t pull out later on. Make sure this is the side you start sewing on.

Basting seam along one side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41876.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Power Poster

So now start on one long side and backstitch then sew around the edge til you get back to where you started. Leave an opening about 2” or so wide.

Sew around the bookmark
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41517[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41517.jpe  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Power Poster

Turn the bookmark right side out and use a turning tool to poke out the corners.
Straighten it and iron it flat. I like to turn in the edges of the opening and iron as this helps to keep the opening straight when you sew it. I also put the bookmark under the needle and lower the needle. I use that to hold the bookmark and I gently pull against that to close the opening using my scissors or seam ripper to push the edges of the opening in and hold them in place if needed as I sew over the opening. Continue sewing around the edge til you get back to where you started. Back stitch.
This finishing seam will give your bookmark a really nice look. It will also take the place of any quilting in that it makes the fabric lay flat.

Turn the bookmark right side out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41518[/ATTACH]

Pull gently to close the opening to sew over it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41519[/ATTACH]

Finished bookmark
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41877[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41518.jpe   attachment-41519.jpe   attachment-41877.jpe  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Power Poster

Now I like to spray sizing on my bookmark and I soak it thoroughly on both sides. I iron it to make sure it is flat and then I let it dry overnight. It should be reasonably stiff after it dries.

I dont' know that I like the DP blocks with the double border but you get the idea on how to do that border.

Both finished bookmarks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41520[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41520.jpe  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Power Poster

Now did you ever think you would be doing a Drunkard’s Path block let alone doing it in miniature???? Congratulations you have just made a Drunkard’s Path Bookmark with miniature DP blocks!!!

I hope you have enjoyed this process and if you have any questions or feedback be sure to email me or pm me and let me know!

Thanks for trying out my shortcuts!!! Rhonda

Email [email protected] or pm me.