Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Serger Quilt

Not totally familiar with that serger, but I just shortened the stitch a little, the odds are I probably didn't have to, the serging will keep it from fraying so don't need keep the stitches to tiny.

I used the Imagine from Babylock. four thread 1/4" seam just over a 2 on stitch length.

I have a lot of orange serger thread so I am not worried about thread consumption.

Blog Entries
    I have really been on the fence of wanting a serger. Nagging question to self " do I really need another machine?"
    Thanks for sharing the great lesson on a serger quilt.

The serger is very good for some things, It is not like your regular sewing machine, depends on what kind of sewing that you do, for quilting there are only a few applications, as the seams can be bulky etc, even though it does a nice 1/4" seam. But if you are doing clothes and other things it really comes in handy for finishing off edges etc. I recommend that everyone thinking of getting one go in and see what they can do, they can do all sorts of decorative things as well as the seam finish.

thank you. very good instructions. i bookmarked it.

Blog Entries
    Cutebuns { chuckle every time I read your name} thank-you for the note on sergers. I started my sewing life just making clothes so I always thought a serger would be nice for that purpose then I got away from sewing clothes because my girls decided they just couldn't wear home sewn clothes to school. Well now that they are older I seem to be getting more requests for me to make things for them again.

I am kind of partial to my babylock, it has air threading so it is fast to thread and change colors etc, but there are all sorts of different ones out there to choose from, I don't know what I would do with out a serger, I do a fair bit of sewing still, mostly costumes and formal wear, there is the odd time that I do other things, hemming is made easy with it, serge the edge and fold up and sew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    I am kind of partial to my babylock, it has air threading so it is fast to thread and change colors etc, but there are all sorts of different ones out there to choose from, I don't know what I would do with out a serger, I do a fair bit of sewing still, mostly costumes and formal wear, there is the odd time that I do other things, hemming is made easy with it, serge the edge and fold up and sew.
    What kind do you have?

A Babylock Imagine.

Could you sew cotton fabric 4 layers for a summer quilt?

You could, the only thing being with the thinner layer the seam bulk would show more.

This quilt board is the best for answering all questions. Thanks so much

So here is what I ended up with, for now I just serged the edges, I may go back and bind it but for now it will serve the purpose that I would like it for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Your work is very pretty and so interesting.
    I recently purchased a Viking Serger and want to do more with it. I'm working on my first quilt so I might try the serging when it's all done just to see! Grand kids would love a denim quilt and this would be an easy way....I think.

Then when I was working away I had the idea that I wanted to try, doing a two sided log cabin, now you can go as big as you want or do small projects like trivets etc out of them, so this is what I just did.

I just used scraps sitting on the table so the colors are in no order, of course you can do the traditional or just go for what comes to hand.

For a summer quilt i would play around with layers to see what is the best, Maybe cotton on the outside and put a layer of flannelette in the center.

Maybe strips of batting in the channels? that would be the fifth layer in the seam. Then once the whole thing is together you may even want to add some funky top stitching.

I have not seen that before. Thanks for sharing. :D

So I was very curious to what the differences were to the different combinations, so I dug through my cotton scrap bin and luckily there was a bunch of thrips that were the same size, 3 1/2" so I went with it and did a sample of them, Now to bad yo can touch my sample, it would give you an idea on what combination would work best for the summer quilt, I am very happy with what I learned, I did take pictures of my sample, but it mostly looks the same, I will try to describe what I feel etc.

The first rows were just cotton with cotton, not a bad feel, the seam isn't to bad, but not really any body. You would have to be careful what colors are back to back as the light is showing the dark on the back side.

second set had a third piece of cotton, nice feel, still pretty light, seam isn't to bulky, you could definitely use a neutral so it wouldn't show through. The biggest thing is now you have to keep track of 6 layers compaired to the 4 so a little more difficult.

third set I added more cotton, not to impressed, the added layers are difficult to keep even, at least compared to the 4.

Then in the middle I added a single layer of flannelette. Worked well, I like the feel and the seam is fine. It adds some bulk and would probably make a better spring or fall quilt depending on your weather. The last set is probably my favorite, one of cotton and one of flannelette. Nice body, the seam isn't really bulky, gives the one side a nice soft feeling. light enough for a summer quilt still. I just used a lighter color but I imagine depending on the back you may have to watch as it may show through the cotton side.

the tote is done with the serger which provides material cutting as well as stitching all in one action. then the piece was squared up and formed into the tote. this could be done also with quilt squares that in turn could be joined with the serger.

serged crazy block
    Name:  Attachment-209204.jpe
Views: 192
Size:  29.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Cool, looks quicker than string piecing. Gonna give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Thank-you so much for sharing all your experiences.

You are welcome. I figured that if I was curious than others may be as well. It was an interesting experiment. I learned a lot.

You put four pieces together, that puzzles me. Is this a reversible?

Really nice may have to give it a go ! thanks

Yes it is reversible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast