Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: String Piecing on adding machine paper

Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville is a big time promoter of this idea. I have made them and I just use very tiny stitch so easy to rip off paper. Some of the copy stores will take your old phone books and cut off the bound edge and then cut page to your size and it doesn't cost much at all, a couple of dollars.

stupid question how do I book mark thanks
    Evelyn

Look at top of page...click on 'Thread Tools' then click on subscribe!!!
    Hilary

Are there directions for the quilts shown anywhere. I just started using adding machine tape today, it is awesome for using scrap pieces!

Great idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnweave View Post
    Are there directions for the quilts shown anywhere. I just started using adding machine tape today, it is awesome for using scrap pieces!
    I used just traditional patterns and adapted them to fit 3" wide pieces..I dont think I have any of my patterns left anymore

EXCELLENT idea for doing the binding!!!!!!!! thank you! I picked up a bunch of the adding machine paper at a thrift store!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Hello Great Idea. Would you need to remove the paper before using it. Love you quilts and thanks for the demo.

I can't find the tutorial on string piecing. Can someone direct me on how to find it? Carol
    OK, I finally went far enough and found it at the end! Love this idea.
    Last edited by carolsews2; 01-02-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: answered my own question

Blog Entries
    Where do u find 3" adding machine tape without going to an office supply place that charges an arm & leg?
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I was just on the Staples website and they have 3" tape for $1.59 a role. That wasn't as bad as having to buy 50 rolls of it which is what I found on Amazon.

Could you use muslin or a lightweight stabilizer? Then you wouldn't have to remove it. If not why?

Blog Entries
    what an awesome idea... Sue, thank you for posting and sharing.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I really love this but I'm new to quilting. Can I ask why the machine paper is used. It this considered paper piecing? If so, when do you tear the paper off??

Blog Entries
    Just go to an office supply store in your area - the ones that used to sell copiers, cash registers, adding machines, typewriters, etc. There should be one around somewhere. I buy old paper tape rolls that have yellowed for about 25 apiece. Let your fingers do your walking - take your phone book and look up office supply stores - mom & pops stores are best. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I was just on the Staples website and they have 3" tape for $1.59 a role. That wasn't as bad as having to buy 50 rolls of it which is what I found on Amazon.
    Nikki in MO

Awwww, htat is so easy, why did I not think of it. It would have been a lot of use.
    ABCDEFG

Great idea - can we see some of the quilts you used this in........... or have you posted and I just didn't see them???

If you go to your local newspaper office you can get sheets or rolls of news print un-used and cut into strips. that is what I have done and it comes of nicely after sewing the strips. Food for thought......

Wow! that is a great idea, thanks

looks like a great method,thanks for sharing
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I was intrigued with the spool holder that Sue has in her post #1 that is holding the adding machine paper roll. Well I watched and watched on eBay hoping someone would sell one of the June Tailor thread holders Sue said she'd had for years.

Tired of waiting I contacted an Etsy seller, that does woodworking that offers to make special orders. They developed a holder for me to specifically to fit a adding machine paper roll. It is FANTASTIC it is just the right weight, finished so well for such a small item of woodworking. The seller even covered the bottom with felt to protect what ever it sits on. Well worth the money.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2258623...-shop-header-0

I'm not affiliated with this seller on Etsy whatsoever, just a very satisfied customer.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I have planned on doing this, have the adding machine paper in a couple of widths. Just need to get started!

Wonderful idea!
    ​Dorothy

Blog Entries
    I have (in process) a "made fabric" quilt. The made fabric blocks (6" finished) are crumbs & strips sewed together to make my fabric. I am floating them in brick red - square in a square style. I thought this border would work perfectly, but I wanted it wider.

I bought this product: http://www.quill.com/craft-supplies/...er=WYF01353155

and cut it into strips, I think they are finished 5". If you are joining strips (phone books, newspapers), use a glue stick, because it won't hang up on your needle like tape will.

Quick question, has anyone tried having the fabric strips hang out past the edge of the paper, then instead of trimming to the edge of the paper roll, trimming to 1/4 SA? That way you can leave the paper on while you join it in your quilt, but not have to remove the paper from a seam allowance. ...I cannot remember if that's how I did my strips.

Blog Entries
    Just a quick response here.........I use the "used " fabric softener sheets from the clothes dryer as foundation pieces...you can use it as rectangles, or cut it to squares............DO NOT try to iron on it tho............but it makes a lighter weight foundation and you can leave it on there and it smells good while you are stitching on it........I have done many, many strip quilts using it.........
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast