Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt >

Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM

I made my first jelly roll quilt using your tutorial. It was AWESOME!!! Went really fast and turned out beautiful!! Thank you for your posting. Love it!!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by LDB
Originally Posted by LDB
As a newbie I know I am sometimes slow on the uptake. I love the idea of this as a really quick quilt and want to try this pattern. What confuses me (and it doesn't take much some days) is the cutting part. Are you saying that you take the really long strip (~1600") fold it in half matching the ends and sew down one side and then cut the piece in half (the loop?)so that you now have two pieces of two strips each 800" long? Then sew those two together and so on?

Now, just to complicate matters, what if I wanted to make this in a queen size (90") width? Obviously, I would need about twice as many strips but what does that do to the cutting part?

Please help
(Sorry - hit enter too soon.) Please help support my LQS by answering these questions so I can rush over and pick up a couple of jelly rolls to make this with!
Glad to help. Yes, you cut the loop at the end of the fold when you are sewing.
If you want to use 2 jelly rolls it will come out 100" x 64"
Here's how it works:
80 strips x 40" = 3200" X 2 1/2" (lets use the finished size of 2")
Fold once: it's now 1600" x 4"
2nd fold: 800" x 8"
3rd fold: 400" x 16"
4th fold: 200" x 32"
5th fold: 100" x 64"
See how it works?
So if you want a quilt with those dimentions that's how it would come out with 2 jelly rolls.
You could always trim it to size.

I'm really excited for you to try this. Post a picture when you are finished. I LOVE to see what other people have done.

Take care and Happy Quilting!
Robin
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM
LDB

Oh! I get the math now! Thanks for the reply. I have this on my list of quilts. (One needing binding, one all but finished (need fabric I ordered) one really quick Quiltsmart quilt in the batters box.) I did run to my LQS but they didn't have what I wanted in batik jelly rolls. Ordered some from Connecting Threads. Hope the fabric doesn't come too quickly or I will be tempted to start it before I clear my plate!

Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a jelly and may cut more strips to make a little bigger. Just need to remember this next time I'm looking for a quilt to make.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by LDB
Oh! I get the math now! Thanks for the reply. I have this on my list of quilts. (One needing binding, one all but finished (need fabric I ordered) one really quick Quiltsmart quilt in the batters box.) I did run to my LQS but they didn't have what I wanted in batik jelly rolls. Ordered some from Connecting Threads. Hope the fabric doesn't come too quickly or I will be tempted to start it before I clear my plate!

Thanks again!
I love it when "it clicks"! WOW! Batiks will look great! Hope you can post a picture when you get it finished. I'm going to post a picture of a quilt pattern from Connecting threads that I made from the scraps of a friends shirts she makes. She was blown away when I gave it to her.
Again, Happy Quilting!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99832.jpe  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 PM

This has got me in fits of giggles. Oh my gosh so easy, so so so very clever. Thank you very much for sharing. How long are jelly roll strips and how wide. I would love to cut some of my stash and make one. Still giggling. FANTASTIC.
Karen
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
This has got me in fits of giggles. Oh my gosh so easy, so so so very clever. Thank you very much for sharing. How long are jelly roll strips and how wide. I would love to cut some of my stash and make one. Still giggling. FANTASTIC.
Karen
2.5 inches by WOF
Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks very much, i read the very first message and loved it and wanted to reply and now have gone back and found the answer to my 'silly' question. Sorry about that. Have a lovely day quilting
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Thank you very much Sharon. I will be sending this to my sister. She is not really a quilter, but tries. This will make her day. I of course will also be doing this. Wonderful
Old 10-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by fromthenestdesigns
Originally Posted by LDB

Thanks again!
I love it when "it clicks"! WOW! Batiks will look great! Hope you can post a picture when you get it finished. I'm going to post a picture of a quilt pattern from Connecting threads that I made from the scraps of a friends shirts she makes. She was blown away when I gave it to her.
Again, Happy Quilting!
Beautiful quilt...