Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tied quilt

Power Poster

Tied quilt

I don't very often tie a quilt or pillowcase a quilt but I did both and put it on my Q snap frame. I use a long piece ofembroidery floss and go across the quilt every 3 inches. After the whole top is done, I flip the frame over and cut between the stitches and knot the ends. Here is a picture of the back all knotted. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2028
Size:  384.8 KB

Blog Entries
    thanks for showing how you do it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad you showed me how you tied it and, also, that you're using the Q-frame. Love mine!!! Know you said it was both pillowcased and tied....did you use batting and, if so, what type? And did pillowcasing eliminate the need for basting? Thanks!

If it is on the frame good and tight, there shouldn't need a basting since you are running a stitch every 3 inches.

Power Poster
    I just used a Walmart polyester batting. I stitched around the outside with the backing and top on top of the batt leaving about a 12 inch opening for turning. I then trimmed away all the fabric and batting to the 1/4 inch seam allowance and clipped the corners a bit. I turned it inside out through the opening and smoothed it out flat. I gave it a light press with a warm iron (not hot as it can melt the polyester batt) and then put it right up on the frame. The clips went on and I just rotated them until the whole sandwich was taut.

Blog Entries
    So you have the knots on the back of the quilt? Or am I seeing it wrong. Sure do like the idea!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Yes, knots on the back but you can do front or back, it is personal choice.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Your quilt looks great and glad I'm not the only one who likes the knots on the back. As you stated personal choice and no qp in the area.

I have always put the knots on the back of my tied quilts. I decided long ago that I liked the look better. Be sure to trim the strings short so little ones won't wind the strings around their fingers and cut off the circulation.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty. Had never had the knots on the back, but am working up to tying some quilts and intend to do that.
    Thanks. Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I don't very often tie a quilt or pillowcase a quilt but I did both and put it on my Q snap frame. I use a long piece ofembroidery floss and go across the quilt every 3 inches. After the whole top is done, I flip the frame over and cut between the stitches and knot the ends. Here is a picture of the back all knotted. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2028
Size:  384.8 KB

I have the same frame , but I have to ask a question. You said you ran your stitch threads all over the quilt, then flipped the frame to cut and tie it, is there a reason to tie on the back, or is that just your taste? I have never seen one tied on the back, but I wondered if that would look alright. I see that it does. Thank you.

Here an idea I would like to share with all who have this portable quilting frame - At every holiday gathering, I have a gift quilt on the frame, all stitched and clipped. I invite all guests to tie a knot and leave a blessing as they tie it. When the quilt is presented, the story of all who helped tie it and left warm wishes goes with it. I finish tying it Christmas Eve night. So far they have all been tied on the front, but maybe the next one will be tied on the back....
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Tartan, I tie many quilts and have wanted to have the ties on the back. I am a visual person and could not visualize how to follow the quilt pattern on the front and have it tied on the back since I clamp the quilts to a table. DUH! Your picture helped me see the process. Now I have to get a Q snap frame.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

I have just started tying my quilts (on the back) and love how they turn out and how quick it is to complete the job. I have one question for those of you who have used this method before -- I have heard that with frequently washed quilts, like a baby quilt, the ties tend to break and have to be repaired frequently. So I have not been using them for baby quilts. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenInRaleigh View Post
    I have just started tying my quilts (on the back) and love how they turn out and how quick it is to complete the job. I have one question for those of you who have used this method before -- I have heard that with frequently washed quilts, like a baby quilt, the ties tend to break and have to be repaired frequently. So I have not been using them for baby quilts. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    if you use a surgeon's knot, it should not come untied... and leave the ends a little longer. i was just gifted a quilt with ties cut very close and some have come out... and the quilt is practically new
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I had trouble with embroider thread when i tied a king size quilt every four inches. kept coming undone even though I did a surgeon's knot. had to replace them with yarn. no problems after that.

Thank you for sharing. I have that frame and never used it because I only tie not hand or machine quilt. I think I will try it out
    Christina(Chrissy)

Tying Quilts

I tie my quilts with #10 crochet cotton. There are so many colors and I like to use a color thread that matches the spot where I'm putting the tie. Crochet cotton seldom comes undone although I had problems with embroidery thread coming undone even using a surgeons knot. I tie on the back if the quilt is a more "formal looking" quilt.