Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapunto by machine

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Quote Originally Posted by leannadc
    Thanks for sharing! What kind of scissors do you have to trim with? Looks rounded on the ends...thanks!!
    Those are some by Fiskars that I like for this purpose. Yes, the tips are fairly rounded. I saw some at Wally's the other day, I think for $11 bucks. I paid more for mine but love them.
    Brilliant tute! Definitely going to try this! There are scissors called 'duck bills' that would be ideal for this - I was going to get some for a raw edge applique technique I do where you sew an overlap of fabric then trim the top layer back to the stitching line and then couch yarn over this to hide it. Anyway (waffle, waffle :mrgreen: ) those same scissors would be great for this too! Duck bill applique scissors. :D

Blog Entries
    I even took a class, but this is a great refresher course as I love the look, thanks a bunch

Blog Entries
    On the first pic ( I think) it looks like you have your FMQ foot on the machine - can you use a regular foot and do it like regular stitching ?

Thanks for the great instructions -you made it possible for me to try it.

Very interesting. thanks for sharing.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    Thanks for the great tutorial. I will put this on my list of new things to try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    Thanks for the great tutorial, I have always been a fond love of it but never seen it done like this. I have seen it where you have to cut a hole in your quilt and stuff it but never like this where you do it before you add your backing. I have a question regarding the quilting, can I still do hand quilting around the design as I am not good at machine quilting and love to hand quilt.

Thanks again
    Judy
    Judy, yes, you can do the whole thing by hand if you prefer. It would be exactly the same steps. First quilting just the batting and the top, then trim, then sandwich and quilt as normal. You could actually just baste the Poly batting down to trim it if you would prefer, then remove the basting stitches after you quilt your sandwich.

Blog Entries
    Yup K, those duck bill scissors would be wonderful! These are just the ones I picked up to use.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by leannadc
    Thanks for sharing! What kind of scissors do you have to trim with? Looks rounded on the ends...thanks!!
    Those are some by Fiskars that I like for this purpose. Yes, the tips are fairly rounded. I saw some at Wally's the other day, I think for $11 bucks. I paid more for mine but love them.
    Brilliant tute! Definitely going to try this! There are scissors called 'duck bills' that would be ideal for this - I was going to get some for a raw edge applique technique I do where you sew an overlap of fabric then trim the top layer back to the stitching line and then couch yarn over this to hide it. Anyway (waffle, waffle :mrgreen: ) those same scissors would be great for this too! Duck bill applique scissors. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    On the first pic ( I think) it looks like you have your FMQ foot on the machine - can you use a regular foot and do it like regular stitching ?
    Sharon, If you are doing your trapunto in a straight line, yes, you certainly could. I generally do trapunto work in curved type of designs, thats why I use that foot or even my BSR. For the curvey designs..I think this type of foot would work better...you would drop your feed dogs as well.

I use your method, and as an extra tip, Pamela Naylor uses two pieces of batting to put into the trapunto shape and when she cuts them, she tapers or steps the cutting, so that when you are sewing the final layer your machine foot is not butting or banging against the edge but smoothly undulates. I will try the graduated method on my next one.

Got my water soluble thread today. now I just need to start another project for this. LOL

Oh and big tip: you know how you sometimes wet your thread when you thread your needle? Probably won't work as good with water soluble thread. tee hee! :D

This is a fabulous tutorial. I'm going to give this a try. Word of warning. Be sure you don't get confused what is the water soluable thread and which isn't. Could be bad on the first washing of your next quilt. Thank you so much for the time and thought you put into this tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    This is a fabulous tutorial. I'm going to give this a try. Word of warning. Be sure you don't get confused what is the water soluable thread and which isn't. Could be bad on the first washing of your next quilt. Thank you so much for the time and thought you put into this tutorial.
    Holy cow! Wouldn't that be the pits! I can totally see that happening to me. ROFL

Thanks, that was a great tutorial.

I think I got the thread part, but most markers wash away also.

Blog Entries
    Patti, great tute. I have wanted to do this for a while. Maybe I will try it on my baby blanket I am making.

Thanks for the tutorial. It certainly has cleared up some questions that I had and you did such a wonderful job with it.

Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to try trapunto but I didn't like the method I had seen before. This seems so much easier and faster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    Great tutorial. Lots easier using water solutable thread than the way I did it. I did the entire technique by hand quilting - only I attached the trapunto batting by basting outside the design lines - then trimmed down the extra batting, sandwiched my little quilt and hand quilted the design. Removed the basting before I did the background quilting, and finished the quilt as usual.

LOL - so true about forgetting you are using water soluable thread - Sharon Shamber explained how she had mistakenly used water soluable on a large portion of one of her show quilts and didn't discover it until she finished the quilt and washed it. Forget which one of her glorious quilts she did that on, and, of course, she had/has the skill to fix the problem so that no one would ever know - but just goes to show you that even the "pros" can make a mistake.

BTW - back about 5-6 +/- years ago, I saw this same technique given in a quilting magazine. They did a neckline treatment (simple flowers and leaves ?) on a plain white cotton knit ladies scoop-neck tee shirt. Sure was pretty - Hmmm - might have to get brave and go in to my ""catch hell" room and go through my 3-ring notebooks as I probably kept the directions in with other patterns of my "someday" quilts and techniques I want to try. I don't say that I am a pack rat - but I do have a tendancy to "save" things that I may want/need to use one day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for tutorial!
    Hear is my "trapunto". It is a simple version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Enci....that is Fabulous!!!! I just love Trapunto! I hope we get some converts to this technique through this tute. Ya'll thanks too for adding your extra tips...they are always welcome!

And YES...PROMINENTLY MARK your Water Soluable thread so that you don't mix it up. I keep mine in the original package unless its on my machine. And licking the end before threading your needle is really not a good idea...:lol:

Blog Entries
    I do not use Water Soluable thread, but I use vinyl thread, just sew around the sample (on a thin paper!), and rip the paper.
    Then I stipling the extra area. I called it a false trapunto.I have o lot of "trapunto" sample. If you ask, I will send as is only to be!(I do not English!) I hope you understand what I wanted to write!
    Enci
    Enci....that is Fabulous!!!! I just love Trapunto! I hope we get some converts to this technique through this tute. Ya'll thanks too for adding your extra tips...they are always welcome!

And YES...PROMINENTLY MARK your Water Soluable thread so that you don't mix it up. I keep mine in the original package unless its on my machine. And licking the end before threading your needle is really not a good idea...:lol:

Blog Entries
    I'm definitely going to try this, it looks really easy and I love doing anything by machine. Thanks Patti! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I'm definitely going to try this, it looks really easy and I love doing anything by machine. Thanks Patti! :thumbup:
    I agree 100% If I can't do something mostly by machine, it probably isn't gonna happen. LOL :)

Blog Entries
    Great tute, Patti. I learned the same technique in my class as you showed EXCEPT we used washable thread in the bobbin too - so we would not have any threads in the mix. Here is what I did for the bobbin with the washable thread on it:

I used a black Sharpie and wrote a "W" on it all over the bobbin both sides so I would NOT confuse it with regular thread bobbins.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast