Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....??? >
  • Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....???

• Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....???

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 AM

My friend had a Ford Escape and traded it off for the Equinox. The Escape was a six cyl. the Equinox is a 4 cyl and doesn't have much pep, she is sorry she traded. I myself would not buy a Suv or crossover that is a 4 cyl. Don't know where you are moving to but I suggest a front wheel drive as opposed to 4 wheel drive, unless you're going to Alaska!
    Have another friend with back problems, she bought a Honda CRV, high enough, and very reliable.
    Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM

Try looking at Hyundai. We bought a Santa Fe SUV in 2008. We looked at many vehicles before settling on this one. It is manufactured in the US (the Chrysler we also looked at was primarily manufactured in Mexico). We now have a 2011 model. It is a very comfortable car, allows the driver to sit higher up than many (good if you're short). Excellent service wherever we have driven it. With both cars we've only had one item repaired and that was a minor fix so they are very reliable. Santa Fe is the middle size SUV. The smaller one is the Tucson, the larger the Vera Cruz. Take a look at their website.
    Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM

A big question is where you will live and what kind of driving you will be doing? Also, with his bad back, it may end up what he can sit in. There are many lovely vehicles on the road I can't drive. My feet will not hit the pedals no matter how far the seat is pushed up, and I refuse to drive laying down!!
    Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
    don't know your age. but i see a lot of seniors are buying vans. the height is right for getting in and out, without bending or stooping. love my chrys van.
    I'll second that. I just had the transmission repaird on my '94 Chrysler Town & Country van. It has over 200,000 miles and I love it. It needs a paint job now. It's very easy to get into and out of and you can carry lots of "stuff". There is better road visibility with a van or SUV. They sit higher than a car. I really like that aspect of the van.
    Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 AM

I agree with this one
    Originally Posted by MamaHen
    Toyota Rav4-great all around, not to big or small, great fuel mileage 28-30 mpg- plenty of space, fold down back seat, and our 4 cyclinder model can get up and move when needed. Toyota's seem to last forever.
    Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM

we had the same problem 4 years ago when we returned from Australia. We had been out of the country for 14 years and had no idea of prices. cars or anything. Search the internet, Consumers Reports and Edmunds.com for info on reliability, problems and features you might like.
    We ended up with a Toureg by VW-I was a nice SUV but expensive and bad gas mileage We has since bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it. Good mileage not great-comfortable and reliable. I had a Honda in Australia and nothing but problems-but that being said-all companies have a lemon or two in the millions of vehicles that produce. My prior Honda's were great.
    Good luck and welcome home
    Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM

I agree Toyota's are the way to go!
    Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Just be aware that alot of the SUV's are lower than they used to be. When I went car looking I had problems getting in and out of them like I do with cars. It's a safety issue, they don't roll over as easy as the higher SUV's did. So be sure your dh tries them out before you make a decision.
    I do know the Rav4's are big enough for a tall person as my neice and her husband have one and they are both tall. However it might be too low to the ground for your dh's comfort. Try renting the type vehicle you think you might buy and drive it around a few days, it could be well worth the money for the rental.
    Kat

Last edited by GreatStarter; 11-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM

I love, love, love my Ford Edge!! easy in/easy out...heated seats... best of all, perhaps, is the computer with the camera for when I'm backing... I can see behind the car!! ok mileage in town, pretty good on the road...

My sis only drives Toyota's and loves em...
    Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by gaby4v
    We will be moving soon back to the States and are looking into buying an used vehicle. Most likely we will buy a SUV, due to my husband's bad back, it will be easier to get in and out the car for him. And of course it should has fairly good gas mileage. We like the Chevy Equinox.
    So, my question to you, what do you recommend? Thanks for all your input.
    I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox I purchased when DH had a stroke as he couldn't get in and out of my low riding economy car. The gas mileage is not terrible but I understand they revised the model and newer ones are supposed to get better gas mileage. That being said, I love my Equinox! Warning: check for blind spots before you buy any SUV as there are some areas that are not the best. DH likes to sit with the back of the passenger seat tilted back to the point that between the seat and his head it blocks out almost all of the back seat window. (Not that I'm saying DH has a big head .... LOL)