Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice on selling items >
  • Need advice on selling items

• Need advice on selling items

Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Need advice on selling items

I have had a gal who owns a small business for stress relief and massage therapy ask me to put my scrubbies and dishcloths in her shop. My question is what percentage would be fair for her. Do you do it on a percentage basis or set amount from each item. I really don't need to put the items in but since she likes them so well she thought her patrons might enjoy them also. What suggestions do you have and how has this worked for any of you who have done it. Thanks in advance because I know you all have such great wisdom. grammasharon
    Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM
    Power Poster

I think you should give them to her for the normal price you charge and let her do the mark up to get the profits she wants from them. Sound right to you?
    Old 02-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Sounds like a plan, I will discuss it with her when I see her today. thank you!
    Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

My friend used to sell 2 cotton dish cloths with a matching scrubber, put together with a ribbon for $5 . That was a few years ago now but she sold a lot at that price.
    Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
    Power Poster

Will they be sold on consignment? I think that often, in situations like this, sales are split on a percentage basis. However, I have no idea what percentage the store would get. I think it's on the high side -- 30% to 40% -- but I really don't know for sure.
    Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 PM

Tartan, I sell these together at a senior center and I get $5.00 for them. I am satisfied. Usually make them in the Green Bay Packer colors and last summer I couldn't keep them on the shelf.

Originally Posted by Tartan
    My friend used to sell 2 cotton dish cloths with a matching scrubber, put together with a ribbon for $5 . That was a few years ago now but she sold a lot at that price.
    Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Prism99 she just wanted to purchase 10 each from me for what I normally get and she will mark up and see what she can get out of them. We agreed if she didn't sell them I would purchase them back and put in the senior shop. However she said she likes them so well she would just as soon keep them for herself. Win/win!

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Will they be sold on consignment? I think that often, in situations like this, sales are split on a percentage basis. However, I have no idea what percentage the store would get. I think it's on the high side -- 30% to 40% -- but I really don't know for sure.
    Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM

RedGarnet222, she liked your suggestion and wanted 10 of each to see how they sell. We shall see. I am satisfied.
    Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 AM

I have items in 2 shops here in town. One is a non-profit and one is a 'regular' boutique. Both do a 75/25 split. Or, let her know what your base price is and she can mark up to what she thinks they will sell for. This also allows her to do specials, discount, 2fers, or add them to other items. But, no matter what you settle on, have her handle the sales tax side of it. And, no matter how good a friend she is, make an invoice and have the arrangement written down. This saves problems down the road. If you are a bit uncomfortable with that, tell her it is because you can never remember anything so it is to help yourself out! Have fun and good selling!
    Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammasharon
    RedGarnet222, she liked your suggestion and wanted 10 of each to see how they sell. We shall see. I am satisfied.
    I am very happy you will get what you deserve for them. They sound wonderful.