Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Textured Quilts >
  • Textured Quilts

• Textured Quilts

Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Default Textured Quilts

Have you ever wanted to make a "textured quilt" for someone? I think they would be great for babies or older citizens who need something do do with their hands. The following link gives instructions for 25 textured blocks that look very interesting. You could just print off the ones that you think you would like to save for a future project like I am doing. Or you can buy the complete set of the 25 block tutorials in one single PDF for $10 (an 89 page booklet). Anyway, I thought this was great as I've never seen a lot of textured blocks on one web site & thought someone else might be interested.

https://mypatchwork.wordpress.com/qu...pler-tutorial/
    Old 02-22-2020, 03:37 AM
    Power Poster

thanks for sharing
    Old 02-22-2020, 06:00 AM

These quilt blocks would be good, like a fidget lap quilt, especially for nursing home elderly. Really anyone that like to fidget and feel the different textures. Thanks for the link.
    Old 02-22-2020, 06:15 AM

These are beautiful blocks. I have a book that has most of these textured (dimensional) blocks. I have made 2 quilts with textured blocks and neither of them have I quilted as of this time. I find them hard to quilt around the textured parts especially if the majority of the quilt is the textured blocks.
    Old 02-22-2020, 07:26 AM

That's some lovely work and ideas.

As I've been dealing with my declining vision, I've been thinking about perceptions and the ways different people experience things. One of my ideas for quilting is to do a "braille" quilt, no not textural, but talking the elements of braille letters and making blocks spelling out a message that basically only I would know or understand. To the rest of the world it would just be big bold graphic shapes, most people would probably sense some sort of dice shape in there.

The other day someone had a thread about using different fabrics and I was thinking to myself maybe adding in a textural element for the raised parts of the letters, but it would be at a scale only read by giants!