Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Border suggestions? >
  • Border suggestions?

• Border suggestions?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM

Default Border suggestions?

I finished piecing my quilt top and I am definately going to need a border, I'm thinking about 9 inches to give it some good drape. I'm going to need to buy some special fabric for it (no stash and very little scrap). I guess I just wanted to post and let you guys play with the idea and see if you say anything that catches my fancy since I'm in the open to ideas design phase. General ideas that would allow for clearance section shopping are best. My best idea now is to look for a wood grain fabric

The quilt is patchwork 5inch (4.5 now) squares. The concept is sunlight on a forest floor and I'm going to hand quilt some branches in the darker areas and leaves in the lighter areas in thick contrasting thread (color yet to be determined, I'm thinking cinnamon brown, gold, or white, but it could change) so this is far from a finished project. Other considerations would be that I am very new and this so complicated is bad (I'm not ready for triangles). Also the colors didn't photograph very well, alot of the yellows are olive and chartruce.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Cedar; 03-31-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
    Power Poster

Oh I love the gradation of colors. Looks great. You may and may not find wood grain fabric print you like, but any fabric you use could be worked with. A tree or branches sounds great. Love your idea so far!!
    Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM

I'm always partial to dark borders......seems to "frame" the quilts more than light colored. That quilt is totally awesome! Good job!
    Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM

How about a dark foliage print that incorporates your current colors...

It is very pretty I love the idea of the quilted branches.
    Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM

Really nice quilt and idea for quilting! You could put a wide piece of brown on one side. It doesn't need to be woodgrain (if you can't find it), it could be plain brown or small print brown. Then you could stitch the "ripples" and gnarls of the trunk, going all the way up, maybe lay a branch across part of the upper half, and quilt your leaves all over. Maybe some of them falling or swirling? Your forest looks so inviting!!
    Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM
    Power Poster

I am not sure if a dark brown print will look nice at the top where it is yellow. You did an excellent job with your fabric selection and placement !!! I would take it with you when you go shopping for the border. You don't need to put a border at the top if you don't need it for the length. Good Luck !!
    Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM

Your quilt is wonderful ! I also fell in love with your description me being a nature / woods lover . I'm sure it is not on clearance but I know Northcott has some awesome wood grain fabrics and more coming out in October , I have been working on the woodland trees pattern the wood grain fabric was beautiful ! The line out now with wood grain fabric is stonehenge woodland by Linda Ludovico . The one due out in Oct is Earth rhythms . I looooove the wood grain fabric border Idea !