Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clover Mini iron >
  • Clover Mini iron

• Clover Mini iron

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM

I have one that I use when I am paper piecing. It gets very hot and works very well. I have not used it on anything else, but as hot as it gets, I think it would do fine.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM

I just went to order the Steam Fast iron mentioned on page 6. Cool looking iron and on sale at the great price of $16+. No tax but the shipping to Texas was $18+. Think I'll have to pass on this one. If anyone know of a store that stocks it, could you please let us know.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM

This subject is very insightful -- thanks for bringing the subject up. My hubby asked me what I would like for Mamma's Day, and after thinking awhile, I remembered that I want to start doing some appliqueing. So, I went to JoAnn's to price the Clover Mini Irons, and lo and behold they were on sale!!! 40% off. So, I bought myself one and told hubby what I had done and he was tickled to pieces 1. because he wouldn't have to go buy it. 2. because it was on sale. I was tickled to pieces 1. because it was just what I asked for. I used it once and so far I like it, but I think the trivet or coffee mug to set it on is a great idea. The little thingy they included with the iron is not so great.
    Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM

I went on line and found where I bought my Steamfast Iron.

The shipping is free.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the wrong site.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...px?sku=STSF717
    Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM

I just bought one, get the one with the heat shield. It has 3 heat settings. Hot actually melted the all purpose thread if you let it heat up for a long period of time. They don't have an auto off. The melt the plastic stand that comes with. It worked great for doing my Dresden plate and pressing the top seam to make the points. I don't think that I would use it for much else other than fusible bias strips. Deffinately get it half off and maybe wait till the day after thanksgiving, Joann last year had an additional 20% for sales item except door busters.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 AM

I have one and love it for paper piecing. I had a problem with it always falling and now keep it in an old coffee mug which work great
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 AM

I have used mine for at least 5 or 6 years. sometimes it is on all day when I am pp, or making blocks that have many seams,like star blocks. It is great.
    Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM

I have one of the old style ones ( it doesn't have changing heads) and it is GREAT for paper piecing. That said, I tried using it when I was making string blocks and found that it wouldn't press the seam open enough and I had "wrinkles" that I had to use that dreaded seam ripper and re-do. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I feel my Rowenta iron is better for pressing seams open when making blocks.
    Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM

I love mine. I keep it by my machine when I piecing. I found I don't distort fabric pressing the seams with the little iron which I'm afraid of doing with the big iron. I also take it to quilt classes. I got mine with a coupon at JoAnns.
    Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

A friend was going to use her Clover iron to alter the hem her DD's prom dress. The thin veil-type overlay (can't think of the name of that) accidentally fell on the iron for a short second and melted a huge hole in it. She had to buy another dress and pay to have it overnighted from several states away. Her iron went in the trash after that.