Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cross Bookmarks >
  • Cross Bookmarks

• Cross Bookmarks

Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Default Cross Bookmarks

Hi. I am a little late requesting this for me to make. I wanted to make 6-8 cross bookmarks, log cabin pattern.
    I am new to log cabins, however, I have seen the larger Cross wall hangings that are so beautiful. I would love a pattern on how to make the log cabin cross for a bookmark. Unless I should use a different pattern, maybe I am over thinking on how to make it----nooooo, not me!
    Will welcome any thoughts, patterns or links.
    Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 PM
    Power Poster

why not graph it up on paper. I don't think it could be that hard. Log cabins are fun and easy. You can do it. please show us how they came out.
    Old 11-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Quarter inch quad graph paper and it would be easy to paper piece it. Draw it up first to get the idea of what to sew next then go for it. Great idea.
    Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 AM

I think you could get graph paper and draw out your own design (as the other members have said). This is what I do when I want to down size or increase a quilt block. I am sure you can do it easily and good luck. Please share your finished project with us-we all love to see how creative people do on this QB.
    Old 11-21-2016, 09:36 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think the cross Log Cabin would work for a book mark. Even one row around a 1/2 center block is going to make for a giant book mark. You need two log cabin blocks for the top and 2 log cabin rectangles for the bottom. Going any smaller then 1/2 inch and the seam allowances are going to start over lapping.
    Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I don't think the cross Log Cabin would work for a book mark. Even one row around a 1/2 center block is going to make for a giant book mark. You need two log cabin blocks for the top and 2 log cabin rectangles for the bottom. Going any smaller then 1/2 inch and the seam allowances are going to start over lapping.
    Sorry for the wrong impression. I meant to write using 4 log cabins to make the cross. I am thinking maybe small wall hanging instead of book mark. The book mark would be too small for me to start. Thank you for your help.
    Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 AM

I purchased "The Radiant Cross" pattern while in Houston from www.quiltingaround.com. They are in Weatherford, TX, phone 817-599-7810. The pattern was $9.00 & measures 24.5" x 32". If they have on line ordering, you can get it that way or perhaps a phone call & they will mail you a copy. I plan on doing one for my pastor in wall hanging size. Good luck.
    Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe instead of a bookmark you could make Bible covers?? Here is a link to one a member made
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t267431.html

Perhaps the member who made it could help you with the dimensions.

Here is a link to another very pretty bible cover another member made:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t274847.html

If you have several gifts in mind and wanted to stick with bookmarks I would suggest making your cross more simply than a LC. Another option is fusible applique.
    Old 11-24-2016, 06:15 AM

I made this pillow for my niece. [ATTACH=CONFIG]562692[/ATTACH]The finished size was a 20" pillow form and I think the cross was 14". I started with the center square at 1.75" and used 1.25" logs. I just cut to length as I went. I should have written them down but of course I did not. Just keep your proportions right when scaling down and you should be ok. A cross is normally a 1:3 ratio on widths and length. Hope this helps and please let us see finished project
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 11-24-2016, 06:17 AM

If you have trouble with the log cabin, here is an easier cross I made. [ATTACH=CONFIG]562693[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg