Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dad 50 bday present?? >

Dad 50 bday present??

Dad 50 bday present??

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM

So my dad is turning the big 50 on Feb 21st. And I have no idea what to get him. He's not having a party or anything, but my weekend to work falls on his bday so I won't be able to come over and see him. Anyway, I was going to go to Spencers and get him some kind of over the hill gag, which I know he'll love. But I would also like to make him something, I'm not sure what though. All I can think of is take a shirt and embroider something on it. lol. He's a mechanic for Allied Waste (trash company), he has a funny sense of humor. I'm always so bad about the MAN gifts. lol. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Your Dad's turning 50? Thanks so much, thought I was dealing with 50 at the end of next month. I suddenly feel old.

Does he have any hobbies? Maybe a desire to own something- old car? Want to start a hobby? Take a look at what he does for fun and develop that.

Barb
Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM

I turned 50 in September and my husband did in June. Our friends planted flamingos in our yard- I think as a sign we are closer to retirement, It was quite fun. Another thing that I have done for birthdays is e-mail all our relatives and friends and have them send a b-day card. My husband is a fireman and I teach CPR to the firemen, a few years ago when my sister turned 40 I had the firemen sign a card and send it to her, well for my 50th the firemen signed all kinds of cards, x-mas, get well, b-day, retirement and sympathy cards and sent them to me. I had one from the Pope, from the President of US, from our governer and lots of other celebrities. It was a blast.
A lap quilt with just blocks made from dark flannels is a very nice personal gift. Have fun whatever you do.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I turned 50 in September and my husband did in June. Our friends planted flamingos in our yard- I think as a sign we are closer to retirement, It was quite fun. Another thing that I have done for birthdays is e-mail all our relatives and friends and have them send a b-day card. My husband is a fireman and I teach CPR to the firemen, a few years ago when my sister turned 40 I had the firemen sign a card and send it to her, well for my 50th the firemen signed all kinds of cards, x-mas, get well, b-day, retirement and sympathy cards and sent them to me. I had one from the Pope, from the President of US, from our governer and lots of other celebrities. It was a blast.
A lap quilt with just blocks made from dark flannels is a very nice personal gift. Have fun whatever you do.
Oh I like the cards from famous people idea. lol. He's get a kick out of that. I'm making my mom a lap quilt for her bday in march. I should do the same for him. :)
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Oh, how about a quick rag quilt for Dad w/maybe some old shirts and a flannel backing :lol:
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM

I always do the bag of goodies. Nobody seems to turn down food. I bought my dad his favorite treats for his bd in January. He loved it. The only thing I did different is that if it came in "bulk" I bought it bulk sized. (EX: Cheeze-It's, Candy Bars, Brandy, Beans, hamburger meat for a BBQ) I went to Costco. Does that help?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

How about 50 pieces of his favorite candy? Or 50 balloons? Definitely a cake with 50 candles on it to blow out!!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM

I think you should make him a lap quilt, too. Even though they are men, they like some of the same things that we do. My son-in-law has been hinting for one, for quite some time now. I am planning on making his for Christmas. Wish your Dad Happy Birthday for all of us. :D
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

How about some fun placemats? check into colouring book pages for some neat appliqué ideas or embroidery???
http://www.freecoloringpagefun.com/w...chanics3pf.htm
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Dad's are so hard to buy for. Our daughter found a 'beer of the month' on line. She ordered her dad three months. (I think you can pick how many months you want to send) DHL delivers the beer to our door and he has to sign for it. He gets 3 bottles of four different beers. It's fun for him to taste the beers from all over the world. (One batch had bottles of our local beer. We got a kick out of that!)