Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do any of you ever use a light box ? >
  • Do any of you ever use a light box ?

• Do any of you ever use a light box ?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM

No. I use the picture window in my livingroom. The neighbors usually ask me what I'm working on when they see paper taped all over it.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM

my brother built me one and I don't use it much only when I want to hand embroidery and trace the designs on the fabric
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM

I have a FW which also has its original table. I lift the FW out of its inset, place a piece of plexiglass over the hole. Then I set a small lamp (minus the shade) on the floor underneath it. Makes a wonderful light box!

quote=#1piecemaker]When I was trying to put a picture on a piece of fabric, I got an old empty drawer, a piece of flexiglass and a flashlight and went to work. My "new" lightbox did the trick.It worked like a charm. Has any of you ever done the same thing?[/quote]
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I used to tape things to the picture window in the living room.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM

I just got a light box from a friend for a Christmas gift. I can't wait to use it! I am starting to do embroidery (by hand) again and the light box will make it SO much easier to trace.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM

I made a small lightbox out of the 1/4 inch foam board. i put slits in the side so the pieces fit together and can be stored flat. I found the clear glass a little too bright so I etched the other side withetching cream. It's only the size of a sheet of paper, but it works ok for small projects.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Love my light boxes. I bought one and made another by using the old fashioned one-function scanner that someone gave me after it broke. You take its insides out, velcro a flourescent light of the right size to the hollow core, stick the cord through a convenient hole--there will be several in the hollow core of the scanner or you can easily make one--and voila', you have a light box with a cover.

Those old scanner are hard to find now, but you might find one at a garage sale for less than a dollar.

froggyintexas
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Love my light boxes. I bought one and made another by using the old fashioned one-function scanner that someone gave me after it broke. You take its insides out, velcro a flourescent light of the right size to the hollow core, stick the cord through a convenient hole--there will be several in the hollow core of the scanner or you can easily make one--and voila', you have a light box with a cover.

Those old scanner are hard to find now, but you might find one at a garage sale for less than a dollar.

froggyintexas
    Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

I have a sheet of plexiglass. I open up my dining room table, put the plexiglass on top of the opening, put a lamp on the floor <underneath>, and it makes a perfect, inexpensive, light box.
    Janet
    Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM

I was using a light box used for treating seasonal affective disorder (seasonal depression . . . whatever), but it was kind of a pain. It wasn't flat for one thing. So I decided to buy an actual light box. I like it a lot. It works so well, and I do a lot of applique. I also like it for making landscape quilt patterns. I've heard of people making them from those square plastic thread totes, however. Just take out the thread peg pieces, then put a flashlight inside, and Voila!