Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does tearing fabric weaken it. >
  • Does tearing fabric weaken it.

• Does tearing fabric weaken it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM

You are absolutely correct. i am a long time dressmaker, we used to tear and "straighten" all our fabric. It was a disaster on loosely woven fabrics. that was also when we wanted the pattern on the fabric to be lined up perfectly with the selvages. One lost a lot of fabric in this process. The whole idea of tearing has been out of my methods for at least 25 years. Let me know of the result under the microscope.
    Annette
    Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM

I don't tear it anymore because of the distortion it seems to cause. I use my rotary cutter for all straight cuts. I've noticed that most of the quilt shops I go to don't tear anymore either - they use a rotary cutter.
    Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Almost all fabric used to be torn when you bought it. The stores had a measuring thing they pulled the fabric thru and when it was the amount you wanted they'd push on it and it would cut a notch and then the clerk would tear the fabric.
    When I was 19 I worked in the fabric dept of a large Department Store and this was what we used to measure the fabric . Incidentally this is where I was the day John Kennedy was shot. We had a window in the back that looked out on the
    Capitol bldg. in Lansing, Mi and we kept watching to see if the flag was lowered and sadly, eventually it was. Sorry about getting off the topic.
    Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM

I heard too from a local quilt store that by tearing the fabric it reduces raveling when you wash the fabric. Yes, there is some waste, but if you're putting that much time into creating a lifetime memory wouldn't you want it be sustainable throughout the years?
    Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM

If you need to reduce ravelling on a piece for washing, either narrowly zig zag a 1/4 inch from the cut edge or if you are lucky enough to own a serger just serge it.
    Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

Almost all fabric used to be torn when you bought it. The stores had a measuring thing they pulled the fabric thru and when it was the amount you wanted they'd push on it and it would cut a notch and then the clerk would tear the fabric.
    The fabric use to be different than what we have now. I have tried tearing fabric and wasn't happy with the results. I also remember that.
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    I used to think that tearing was the best way to get it straight, but I think it distorts the fabric and that part needs to be trimmed off, so there may be a little more waste.
    I agree with this, I don't like to tear it.
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM

So, with all the hard and fast rules about being sure our quilt pieces are on "straight of grain", if we cut all our fabric with rotary cutters we know for sure that that will not be the case. However, I think that with the quality of fabric now, as long as it is "close" to being on grain it will hold shape pretty well. I think fabric is probably much better woven these days and less likely to distort. At least I hope so, as I have made many quilts using only rotary cutting, and would hate to think that all those little pieces in all those quilts are going to distort and shift as they are used and washed.

This whole topic may be making a mountain out of a molehill!!! If you want to tear, tear. If you want to rotary cut, do that.
    Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM

I remember that :!: I always thought it was the neatest thing to watch :lol: I used to tear, but found that I lost to much fabric so now I only cut. Also, I don't think that fabric today is woven as tightly as it used to be.
    Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Oh Wow ~ I had forgot all about those! Thanks for reminding me. I would love to find one for my sewing room - just for the nastaligia (sp) of it!