Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dry Hands >
  • Dry Hands

• Dry Hands

Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 AM

Hi! Just joined. LOL at all the wonderful photos you've put with your names - littlehud's cat at work and oldswimmer's two dogs at rest and all the quiltwork, of course. Wow!

I noticed a vast improvement in dry skin on my hands while applying Aveeno Baby moisture cream to little butts. So I keep a tube near the sink, sewing area, and laundry.

I use Super Glue when I forget the Anveeno and my fingers start cracking again. Store the tube pin-end down once opened in the original container with the red-cap end up. Not hard if you think about it, keeps the tube from drying out.

Jois
    Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM

when my skin cracks around my cuticles, I protect them with "new skin" found in the drug stores. This year, I have found that maintenance is the best. I moisturize every day 3-4 times all year round, I havent had a cracked cuticle yet.
    Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    I am bothered by dry, cracked areas around my thumbs when I handle material and do needlework. I know I need to use lotion to help prevent this from happening.But what do you recommend when it does happen?
    I hope it is ok to post here....related to quilting. (grin)
    I like a cream our quilt shop had calle "Sew Help me". No residue, and softens nicely.
    Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM

Someone on the last thread on this said to try Keeffe's Working Hands from either Lowe's or Home Depot. It does not have any oil in it and it works great. I do a lot of applique so my hands are always on fabric and this seems to work well for me. I have tried so many but I like this the best. It works in nicely and takes just a little. I also resort to superglue on any cracks or splits as it does help heal a lot faster but then I follow up with the Keeffe's. I could only find it at Lowe's, comes in a small green flat jar.
    Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Order Bag Balm online through animal supply houses. Many pet stores carry it also.
    Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM

I just bought some and it IS GREAT! But the name is actually O'Keefe's Working Hands. I found it at Harbor Freight Tools. Our Home Depot didn't have it.
    Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM

There's a product ranchers use called (I think) Udder Cream, and it's great!
    Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 PM

for all you Canadian quilters- I use a Blistex product called GLYSOMED hand cream - it is Glycerene, silicone and chamomile (comes unsented too!) (( and NOT greasy) It says it is made in the U.S. but I can only find it in Canada. it is sold in lots of stores there. Has a whole line of hand,,foot, face and body lotions. Maybe some of you computer sleuths can find it in the states.. let us know!!!
    Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM

If you only have one or two splits try chapstick. Put it on thick and often. I helped me many times on paper cuts so it might work for dry skin as well.

Howard
    Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I use something called Creamy Petroleum Jelly by Personal Care. It comes in a 4.5 oz tube and is sold at the Dollar Store for just $1. I have a tube of it in every room of my house. It is not greasy and absorbs quickly. I even use it on my face. I have chronic dry skin and an autoimmune disease that makes my skin extremely sensative. It is usually in the section of the store where they sell the baby products. I use it on my hands even when I am handquilting. I have never had a problem with it leaving a stain.
    i use this stuff too...i threw all the pricy stuff out cause the creamy vaseline works better than any of them. and so much cheaper!!