Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Elinore Burns Night and Day quilt >
  • Elinore Burns Night and Day quilt

• Elinore Burns Night and Day quilt

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Have any of you ever done the Elinore Burns Night and Day pattern? I am finally finishing the top. I will post a picture if the wind ever quits blowing. Right now if I tried to take it outside i think it would act as a sail on a boat and I'd end up in Missouri or some state further east. I "think" I like it but it has been a really boring quilt to make. It has too many repetitive steps. I did all of my strip sets at home and then put it all together at retreat. It is amazing how easy it is since it doesn't look too easy. I love how she writes her instructions just as if she were right there guiding you through each step with tips along the way. I'm sure she would be surprised or maybe appalled at the colors I have chosen. It is teal, navy and lime green.
    Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 AM
    Power Poster

great. there have been several shown in this forum. some have even made a second qlt with the 'leftovers".
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Her instructions are the best. Simple and well thought out. Good for people like me!
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM
    Power Poster

Will look forward to a picture. I love eleanor burns. Her instructions are clear and things always come out right.
    Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM

I got as far as buying the book. I want to do a three-color version. I know black and white, but I have yet to make up my mind about the third...maybe fuschia? teal? Not sure...I will know it when I see it, though. One of the ladies at my most recent retreat made this is two shades of green. It was beautiful! Can't wait to see yours.
    Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Your question inspired me to get my neglected Night & Day quilt out of the closet so I could take a picture and post it. The reason it's in the closet is one of my sad quilting stories!

I started the quilt in a class at a local quilt shop and finished it up at home. I did some simple stitch-in-the-ditch type quilting and then tossed it into the washer and dryer to get it nice and crinkly.

When I removed it from the washer, lo and behold there were a bunch of dark spots on it... yikes. I never get spots from my washer, so I'm thinking it might have been a defect in the fabric that "came out" when it was washed.

Anyway, then I decided to scrub the spots - yes, I now know that was a STUPID mistake! The color rubbed right off the fabric and left a couple of faded areas. Yikes again! I then started to do some free motion stipple quilting, to see if I could camoflage the faded spots, but that didn't really work. So like all quilters disgusted with themselves, I put it in the closet.

I really do like the quilt, so maybe I'll give it another try now that you reminded me about it! (Pardon the distracting bedspread in the background of the picture.)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-215087.jpe