Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 5 Question and/or math-challenged >

EQ 5 Question and/or math-challenged

EQ 5 Question and/or math-challenged

Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Default EQ 5 Question and/or math-challenged

Good morning All & Merry Christmas.

Can anyone tell me about re-sizing a block in EQ 5? I searched Rhonda's tutes as best I could but could not find out how to do this - or even if it will get me what I am looking to do. When working in EQ 5, that particular item (resize block) is 'greyed out' so as to not be usable. But not sure if I'm at the correct stage in block construction, etc.

I am thinking of doing this quilt...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t272785.html but as a baby quilt. I have printed out the pattern so have all of the instructions. However, it's for an 8" (finished) block and the quilt measures 55 x 67 - a bit larger than I want for this particular baby quilt. I was thinking if I did a 6" (finished) block, overall it would be closer to a size I was willing to do for this particular baby quilt.

So, if this is not possible in EQ 5, could someone give me some hints/clues as to how to re-size this block to 6"???

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I didn't reinstall EQ5 on my computer but normally I draw the block whatever size works for me. Then it is just telling the sketchbook what size you want the quilt block to be. Try drawing the block using 1.5" finished strips. Cute quilt. Good Luck
Old 12-23-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

The block uses 4 strips that finish at 2" each, giving you the 8" finished block. To get a 6" block, you would divide 4 strips into 6", giving you 1.5" finished strips. Adding the seam allowance back on you cut 2" strips instead of the 2.5". So the center 4 patch would be four 2" squares. You can construct the rest of the block like a log cabin.

I love this quilt when I saw it and put it on my list for next month. I want to make it in Christmas colors, and figure if I start in January I should be done by next Christmas.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

This is why I love EQ so much! Resizing is very simple. I design the block [as the size that the pattern describes] in Work on Block. When working on the Quilt, simply choose Layout at the bottom and set your block size as 6". easy-peasy. When you are going to 'print' your block, select just one of the blocks in your quilt, go to Print, and check Size from Quilt. I, then, always choose Preview ... I don't like to use all that paper and printer ink. It's a cute quilt, be sure to show us when you are done.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM

I work in EQ7. I draw the block in whatever size I want to, then save it to the sketchbook. Then while still with the block on the worktable, I go to "File", "Print", "Block". In that screen, you have to tell it what size width & Height block you want. Then I preview the print to see if the cutting sizes are reasonable. Next, when designing a quilt, under the Layout tab, you have a choice of what size block you want to use. I type in the size I chose as the Print in the prior step. Note: It doesn't matter the size that it was originally drawn. Go ahead and add all your blocks to your quilt and see if it is the size you want.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

When looking at the layout, I don't think that EQ5 will allow you to draw the quilt correctly:
http://weallsew.com/snowflake-quilt-along-week-2/

EQ7 has an option in the layout section when drawing quilts set on point: either using a single corner triangle or have two setting triangles in the corner as with this design.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Here is the drawing using 6" blocks. I did change the width of the side borders from 5" finished to 4" finished. The size of quilt is 43" by 52"
Attached Thumbnails snowflakes.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When looking at the layout, I don't think that EQ5 will allow you to draw the quilt correctly...
yes it does, Quilt, New Quilt, On point.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Here is the drawing using 6" blocks. I did change the width of the side borders from 5" finished to 4" finished. The size of quilt is 43" by 52"
the layout you drew is different from the one on the Bernina site http://www.quiltviews.com/free-patte...g-from-bernina and the one in NJ Quilter's original post http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t272785.html
Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Here is the quilt in the original layout but with 6" blocks. The size is approx 45x53. but i used christmas colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538679[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails snowflake-quiltalong-bernina.bmp  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-23-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: reloaded pic as somehow became invalid attachment