Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fake Cathedral Window - I just had to give it a try. >
  • Fake Cathedral Window - I just had to give it a try.

• Fake Cathedral Window - I just had to give it a try.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Correct me if I'm off-course, but from what I can see from your photos, this is NOT the 10-minute block, which is 4 squares with one inserted in the middle = 5 squares, but rather a background of 4 squares flat and 4 squares folded in half, one per flat square = 8 squares.

The "stained glass" insert is placed on top of the 4 folded half-squares in such a way that the folded edges can be rolled back to create the "window" and reveal the base square.

If done this way, you can distribute the design randomly over a larger background, as you did in your second photo. Very, very pretty!
    Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiem
    Correct me if I'm off-course, but from what I can see from your photos, this is NOT the 10-minute block, which is 4 squares with one inserted in the middle = 5 squares, but rather a background of 4 squares flat and 4 squares folded in half, one per flat square = 8 squares.

The "stained glass" insert is placed on top of the 4 folded half-squares in such a way that the folded edges can be rolled back to create the "window" and reveal the base square.

If done this way, you can distribute the design randomly over a larger background, as you did in your second photo. Very, very pretty!
    You are correct. All 9 of my squares are the same size. Four are for the background (gray) and another 4 are folded diagonally (purple) to form the part that folds around the one center square (batik).
    Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
    Eddie has a fantastic tutorial on Faux Cathedral Windows in the tutorial section

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...al-t35742.html
    This is a great tutorial, but it is a lot more work than what I did. Mine way is much easier. I'll be honest with you.
    Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM

I'll put together a tutorial. I just don't have pictures of some of those beginning steps, so I'll have to do it and take pictures, so I can create a tutorial. Give me a few days.
    Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Thank you so much! You are very generous to share.
    Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
    KLO

I for one will be watching for your tutorial. You did a great job with the photos and the links that others posted were helpful too. Thanks for putting me on to this. I have toyed with doing a cathedral window quilt but did not think I had the patience for it. Your way would work for me, I think. Thanks!!!
    Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Beautiful, Kathleen! Are you going to demo these at Buzz Club tomorrow? -Norma
    Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
    If I could box you up some snow, I'd send you some. We have at least 2-3+ feet piled everywhere. Roofs and docks are falling in. I'm ready for spring.
    Yes, joyce888, we have plenty of snow and will be glad to let you have all you want! lol
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM

I, too, am VERY interested in a tutorial....it is AWESOME!!!
    Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
    We visited Missouri Star Quilting Shop this summer and Jenny went through several tutorials with us right there. It was wonderful. The latest one that her daughter came up with using precuts was the fake cathedral window. It was so new that they hadn't created a tutorial for it yet.

What do you think?
    It is strange MSQC has not made a tutorial for this yet, but I was sure I had seen it before. Did I dream it? It really is a beautiful pattern and looks easier than the one I did way back when...