Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • fake mitered corner >
  • fake mitered corner

• fake mitered corner

Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 AM

Default fake mitered corner

Do you ladies think this will work. I am putting on a striped border as the final border. the stripes go into the qilt instead of along side the quilt. The corners need to be mitered but I do not want to miter them for several reasons. So I think that I can make a HST as a cornerstone (being sure that the stripes are going the right way), and attach it the usual way. I think this will give me the miter corner look with the stripes matching but will be easier and take less fabric. What do you ladies think? Thanks
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM
    Power Poster

I think it depends on the stripes. For it to look "seamless" (pardon the pun) you will need to match the stripes on both sides where the HST is sewn to the borders. And you need to do that for all 4 corners. When using continuous border pieces you don't have that extra matching to do.
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 AM

It should work. Kind of like doing half square triangles instead of set in seams on a attic windows.
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

I did that once where I had about 5 different width borders, but they were solid/blenders (actually, it's my avatar). You can do this, but if the stripe has a print in it (like flowers) you will see where the block is inserted.
    Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
    I think it depends on the stripes. For it to look "seamless" (pardon the pun) you will need to match the stripes on both sides where the HST is sewn to the borders. And you need to do that for all 4 corners. When using continuous border pieces you don't have that extra matching to do.
    ditto ...

BigSister63 ... In theory your technique should work. However, you have gone from matching four seams to needing to match 12 seams!!!! While you feel it will save you fabric, I am not so sure but what it will take as much fabric, and perhaps even a little more because of the added seamwork.

If you are trying to avoid mitred corners, the other option would be to use a cornerstone and not have to match any of the stripes.
    Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

Why not practice making a mitered corner if your issue is not knowing how or are scared to try on the quilt. Just take an 18" square of scrap fabric and add borders and do some miters on the corners until you feel comfortable. They really aren't that hard once you do it a few times. So take a few practice runs and then go for it!
    peace
    Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 AM

Mitered corners are not that difficult. You may be avoiding something very easy by doing it in a very difficult way!!
    Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM

I agree with GemState they are not hard to do at all.
    Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 AM

I twisted myself all up for days figuring out how to miter borders with stripes, and it ended up being so easy! I found a youtube video that really helped...unfortunately I can't find it now. Try searching youtube...
    Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Do you ladies think this will work. I am putting on a striped border as the final border. the stripes go into the qilt instead of along side the quilt. The corners need to be mitered but I do not want to miter them for several reasons. So I think that I can make a HST as a cornerstone (being sure that the stripes are going the right way), and attach it the usual way. I think this will give me the miter corner look with the stripes matching but will be easier and take less fabric. What do you ladies think? Thanks
    I think it would work - but if you have enough fabric to do a ''proper" mitered corner, that it would really be easier to do that in the long run.