Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Feathers Over Done? >
  • Are Feathers Over Done?

• Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 AM

I like all quilting except stippling. I have seen quilts where there is not a square inch without stippling.

My fabric choices are important to the design and I want the quilting to compliment the design.

This is the first that I have seen or heard of the Leah designs and I like them. I see a lot of flexibility in size with those designs.

LESS IS MORE!
    Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 AM

I agree. There are so many other patterns out there
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
    What one loves, another might not - to each his own.
    I like the feathers, but also like many other quilt patterns.
    I tend to prefer the not-so-densely quilted quilts - seem softer to the touch and to my eyes.
    As long as the quilting is no farther apart than the width of my fist, I'm satisfied it will hold up to washing, and isn't that really the original intent of quilting the piece - to prevent batting from bunching in laundering.
    The real intent of quilting? I had thought to hold the batting. I have been asking that question every time I look at the quilt show quilts which are very densely quilted... but it seemed like heresy not to rave about quilts that are stippled until the fabric is lost, never mind feathers.

Is it because antique quilts are quilted more densely?
    Or just because our machines allow it?
    I enjoy the layer of decoration and pattern the quilting provides, but when I learn to FMQ I may turn into a stipple-nut.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
    I agree..too much of a good thing. There was a quilt pic posted the other day and all I could was the quilting! Even on a close-up, I couldn't make out the quilt pattern. I wonder if any of these quilts drape as I think they should
    When a long armer post pictures of quilts she has done 99% of the time the pictures are taken to show off the quilting.....that's her craft that's what she is highlighting.....
    I happen to to love feathers and I love heavily quilted and don't have a problem with them being any less soft. I haven to agree with some people that there seems to be some bashing.....such as calling out a bargello recently posted with feathers. .....I think there are plenty of la's that everyone can be happy.....if you don't like someones style don't use her....I choose to appreciate the craft of quilting as art and find beauty in every quilt.....just like a painter is a artist they also have a wide range of styles.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by be a quilter
    Originally Posted by suebee
    If one likes dense quilting, whether or not its a show quilt, then whats the big deal? If you dont like it, then dont do it or have it done. Pretty simple. Thats what makes us all unique. How boring would it be if all quilts were handquilted or all quilts were SID or all quilts had minimal quilting? By the way...feathers are a blast to do, oh..did I mention I love them? Do what you like or what makes you happy, but bashing others because you dont like it. well thats just silly. Have fun and Happy Quilting to all.
    I don't think anyone is bashing anyone, just people having a discussion on what they like. No need to take it personally.
    I also feel that some ppl are 'bashing' as suebee puts it - and I don't think of myself as an over-sensitive type. :?
    Well you always have one or two who don't handle conversation well and get mean, but the best way to handle them is to not acknowledge their comments. Mostly, ppl on here are just saying what they like, and that was the point of the thread.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Point taken Tina. ;-) :-D
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM

I totally agree with you on this, some of the quilt tops are lost in all the quilting that is done on them. I love to see the beautiful work that is done on the quilt tops and not so much quilting on them.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Was so glad to see your post. I thought I was the only one out there who thought feathers can be over done. They are beautiful in there place. And I have to admit I think sometimes the LA quilting overpowers and smothers the quilt design. As someone else stated a little can go a long way.

I totally agree and also sometimes the quilting stitch is much too tight---makes the quilt look too "puffy". I have many like that here.
    Happy quilting, Kutnso
    Power Poster

I've been watching this thread, and haven't contributed to this point.

As for feathers ... I haven't had any used on any of my quilts yet, whether hand, machine or LAQ. Not that I don't like them, just that I don't think they have been a match for the quilt.

I feel that what is getting lost here is that "each to his/her own". Some like lots of quilting, some don't. Some like a particular quilting design, others like different ones. Some want only hand quilted, others LAQ, others machine, others tied.

And oh yes, I am one of the heathen who piece, but don't quilt. So far I figure there's others there that can do a better job and help my work shine out. Though I am starting to learn on smaller items.

What I appreciate most about this Board is the opportunity to learn. In the case of this thread, to learn why and why not for quilting techniques and options iin an open discussion.

What might be right for me, may not be right for you .... though there's no reason why we can't have a good discussion about all the differences of opinions.