Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Free Motion Quilting with a Viking Megaquilter >
  • Free Motion Quilting with a Viking Megaquilter

• Free Motion Quilting with a Viking Megaquilter

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM

I have a Viking megaquilter which does fabulous straight sewing (piecing, etc.) but I have never used it to free motion quilt.

Since this is Christmas, I am busily embroidering on my regular machine, a Janome, but I really do need to get some things quilted.

So, has anyone actually used a Viking Megaquilter to free motion quilt? I don't even know if it's even possible, as I've never thought about it until now today. But, it seems to me that it might be the answer to my time problems this month.

Would appreciate any one with any information for me. Thanks.
    Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
    Power Poster

The Megaquilter is wonderful for quilting. When I used mine for quilting I did have the cruise control, but you don't really need it.
    Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
    Power Poster

I have a Pfaff Grandquilter which is waiting to be put on the frame. Over the last few weeks I have been taking quilting classes to get the hang of free motion. My opinion: No matter which machine you have - a good class will help get you initiated into FMQ. Then you can fine tune and figure out the quirks of your machine.
    Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Over the last few weeks I have been taking quilting classes to get the hang of free motion. My opinion: No matter which machine you have - a good class will help get you initiated into FMQ. Then you can fine tune and figure out the quirks of your machine.
    Good advice!
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 AM

I've been using my Mega Quilter on a frame for about 6 mos. and love it. The only problems I've had a human error. I just have to practice. I don't care for the thin foot so I have ordered a thicker 1/4" foot to do ruler work.
    Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

This Megaquilter is just standing on a table like any regular sewing machine. I have a long arm on a frame. I also have a Janome 11000 which is doing the embroidery work.

I actually wanted to use the Mega to practice stippling free-motion style. It has a short shank (as far as I can determine) and I am wondering if the embroidery foot from the Janome would work for this purpose. This thought just occurred to me because I'm trying to get so many things done at once.
    Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Well, I just got the answer from calling the dealer. Yes, the Mega Quilter can be used to do stippling work. Janome made the megaquilter, so I already have the special foot needed to do it. It came with the Janome.

The feed dogs do not lower, so they will have to be covered. Other than that, no problems.

It's amazing how much grief one will put one's self through for such a simple problem. !!! Thanks, everyone.