Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • fusible batting, what did I do wrong? >
  • fusible batting, what did I do wrong?

• fusible batting, what did I do wrong?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM

Default fusible batting, what did I do wrong?

This is my first time using fusible batting, it's Hobbs 80/20. I ironed it all out nicely last night and stitched a couple of rows of ditching. This morning when I went to start quilting again I discovered that the layers are coming unstuck. Was my iron not hot enough, too hot???? Do I press it again or should I get out the pins?
    Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

I've only used fusible batting a couple of times in table runners--I am not a fan. I did learn not to start quilting on it right away. Let the item set for a few hours so the glue has time to really set. Did you start quilting just after fusing it? If I were you, I'd try repressing it, let it sit awhile and see what happens. Then if it still doesn't stick, get out those pins.

Be careful and check the item carefully before you start to stitch. I was smoothing mine and felt something between the layer--felt very hard and shaped like an Advil tablet. I opened the layers and it was a glob of glue. Imagine what would have happened if I'd hit that with my needle.
    Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

I spread out my backing on my basement floor old carpet, smooth on the batt and then the top. I iron from the center out with about a 5 second pause at each press working any extra quilt top to the edges, this fuses the quilt enough to flip the whole sandwich upside down. I then work on pressing the back from the center out working any extra backing to the edge. I do the back after the front because it is more important that it is fused perfectly because I can't see it when FMQ. Occasionally I will need to re- iron the sandwich edges by the time I get to them from manipulating the quilt through the machine. I put safety pins along the sandwich edges to prevent them from peeling at the machine.
    Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM

I had the same issues you are experiencing. So once I found spray basting I never gave fusible batting another try.
    Old 11-24-2014, 11:42 AM
    Power Poster

I use hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible and lay my quilt layers out, fuse the top. flip it all over and fuse the backing. I usually don't worry about using steam. the layers stay put and i quilt it fine.
    Old 11-24-2014, 02:39 PM

I iron it on both sides, hitting places with shots of steam. If it starts to come undone on the edges, I'll add a few pins.
    Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 AM

Thank you all for your input. I did try to press again but without any luck.
    The glue held in spots but not all over. Now with all of my working on the quilt I have stretched many of the bias edges (the blocks were all made with the strip tube ruler) and I have puffy spots between what ditching I had done. This was supposed to have been a fun and easy quilt intended for a gift. Now it is becoming a real learning experience on dealing with Murphy's law.
    I've pinned it and will try to continue that way. Next quilt I am back to spray basting as I have no idea what went wrong here.
    Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 AM

I personally dislike fusible batting didn't go well for me either, never used it again. How big is your quilt top mine was a queen size.
    Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 AM

It is an odd size. I was playing with a strip tube block in my eq and my teenage son started flipping the blocks around. He liked his design and I figured it was a fun way to make one for him. It is 77 x97 with the boarder. I had purchased a queensized bat for another project but thought it would be an easy way to help stabillize the blocks. If it turns out too lumpy with all of this stretching I suppose the dog will enjoy it.
    Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 AM
    Power Poster

I forgot to add I use a dry iron to press. I figure since the fusible is water soluable them steam may deactivate it?