Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever made binding from........ >

Has anyone ever made binding from........

Has anyone ever made binding from........

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Has anyone ever made binding from bandanas? As many of my quiltboard friends and family knows, I lost my dad last week and while I was at his house for the memorial service/celebration of his life, my brother gave me a stack of his bandanas and tee shirts. I had started a quilt for my pop, but didn't get it finished in time to give him so I plan on finishing it and giving it to my brother instead. I'm wondering if I can somehow incorporate the bandanas in the binding? Some of them are worn too thin but I think I have some bandana type fabric I could add if necessary to the binding. Also what is the BEST stabilizer for a tee shirt quilt? May try to make my nephew a quilt from Pop's shirt's, may make it for myself and pass it down later. But really want to finish quilt for brother. Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

well maybe, cut 2.75 wide strips and attach end to end for binding. See how many you have and how long that would be. My dad use to have a stack of bandanas (no telling where the got to...Goodwill, probably) They are what, 14" square - If you don't have enough lengthwise for going around, maybe you have enough for a couple rows, alternate the colors. You could accentuate them with white strips on either side, that would make a nice verticle row or two. Just kicking a few ideas for ya. Wish I was doing something like that in my dad's memory. Mom swished all his stuff out the door before I had a chance to hord it. You are stitching with love and that can't be wrong. Enjoy it. Love Ruth
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM

because the bandanas are probably a little thinner than quilting materials, you may want to add an interfacing to give them some body.

For T-shirts, look for fusible tricot at Joanns, etc. It is soft but holds great.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:35 PM

I love the idea, such a wonderful way to honor your fathers memory. I have a huge roll of pellon interfacing 2" wide that I can send enough for the binding if you want to try to use that. Would just need to know how much you need.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Google Goddess

Hugs, with deepest Sympathy to you and your family, what a great idea to make a quilt with his things, also any blue jeans to make into a quilt, ties also
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Oh I am so sorry, I didn't know you lost your Dad. My sincere sympathy to you and your family :(
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

My recommendation is to try a few different stabilizers on an old t-shirt (cheapie used one from a thrift store) to see which one you like best. Many like fusible tricot, but there may be a featherweight fusible that is better, and I personally would want to try MistyFuse (using a Teflon-like applique sheet to apply, as it does not have a paper backing).

There was a recent thread on this topic here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89167-1.htm . Some of the posts give specific names for the featherweight fusible, etc.

Oh, and I would consider using MistyFuse or one of the other fusibles on the bandanas before cutting into binding strips. I think it would look terrific as a binding, but the binding gets the roughest wear of the entire quilt so ultra-thin bandanas would really require some reinforcement with a fusible.