Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever taught quilting? >
  • Have you ever taught quilting?

• Have you ever taught quilting?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM

And then there is always one that wants you to sit at her machine and demonstrate on her block or whatever just how to do it again. lol. But I still love to teach newbies. Jolo
    Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 AM

I, too, am a wallflower... gladly!! :) Our prayer quilt ministry brought me to the forefront - to this day I do not understand why - there are several quilters who do as good as I do or better... BUT nothing seems to happen unless I initiate it... I just go with it now... :) You'll do fine... you'll come to love it as much as I do, I'm sure
    Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
    How about string quilts sewed onto muslin? It doesn't get any simpler than that, and you could use lots of scraps.
    I've just been re-reading this thread from my first post and I dont' remember if I replied to you.
    String blocks on muslin is a good idea. Especially for the charity quilts.
    Thanks
    Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I, too, am a wallflower... gladly!! :) Our prayer quilt ministry brought me to the forefront - to this day I do not understand why - there are several quilters who do as good as I do or better... BUT nothing seems to happen unless I initiate it... I just go with it now... :) You'll do fine... you'll come to love it as much as I do, I'm sure
    I hope so.
    Actually I'm kind of looking forward to it now that the shock has worn off. Who'd of thunk?? lol
    Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM

I just started learning to quilting. I'm a bit slower than most, and it was great to see folks who were very knowledgeable with those of us who were not. The instructor started with the basics, what she found helpful, what she didn't find helpful (as far as tools, etc) ... and started with the basics of cutting, and stressed safety to the max. She said that the first rule is that you will break the rules :)

I'm sure you are going to be fine and it's going to be GREAT!!! Can't wait to see pictures of the blocks that you all do and the finished quilts.
    Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Why not talk to them about what quilting is, showing several simple patterns and asking what they would like to do. Jelly rolls and charm quilts may make life easier. what is their goal? Teach them safety of rotary cutting, how to use a ruler, etc. Just have them do one block and bring it back in for discussion. Tell them to use inexpensive material to practice. After that they may want to do more creative pieces.
    Good luck.
    Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Another thing that might help
    Make out a questionier with questions about themselves, this help to get to know them. Nothing personal. In it ask about hobbys, and how they grade themselves in sewing and cutting material.
    Have one made up for yourself. This help put everyone relax. Ask at the botton if you can read each one so no one feel they don't know evough. this should only take a few minutes. ENJOY
    Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Thank you CraftyBear for posting this link in another thread.
    It'll be a nice guide for me.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-41164-1.htm