Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 04:16 AM

Hi Michael. I was doing just fine on a personal No-Buy challenge and shopping stash until I came up with a brilliant idea and needed purples, of which I had almost none. I needed a LOT of different purples and of the right hue - the bluey-purpley kind not the redder kind. My local shops didn't have much if any of a selection and now I've got an entire gigantic tub of mostly purples from online. That's how it happens for me. Up until now I've been using the leftovers from a larger quilt in a second smaller one, but I don't think that will work for me this time. I'm sure I can get three California kings out of the leftovers from this project.
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM

My name is Pam and I am a fabric hoarder, buuuuutttt! I have found a small way to downsize. We have a free Christmas store in our town, served over 6000 children last year with refurbished toys volunteers cleaned, dressed or put batteries in and gave away. Christmas stockings use up a lot of fabric and easy to sew up, donate them to a place around your home that does something like this. I made up a bunch also of small pillows 10"x14" to put in the free store to give away. Used a white material from bed skirts I purchase to make into quilts. Then made colorfull little pillow cases for them. I too, have tons of material but these two suggestions do help whack it down and make a difference, now if I could just avoid the fabric stores.
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 AM

i have just the answer to your hoarding. i am teaching a class to beginning quilters. we are making charity quilts. why not send me all your extra fabric and we will make good use of it. just think how good you will feel for doing your part for charity. send me a PM and you will be on your bway to being a hero!!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 AM

You're not alone in your love of fabric. I see you live in Cedar Rapids, well I live in Marion. Hi neighbor. Do you belong to the Eastern Iowa Heirloom Quilters?
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 AM

Hi, Michael. I am Sue. When I realized my addiction was out of control I refused to go on any more FARTs until I had it under control. (Fabric Aquisition Road Trip)
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Hi Michael,

I am also a fabric hoarder and live in total denile about the extent of my fabric addiction - or should that read fabric shopping addiction!

Even my bf (aka Captain Kindness)has been known to come back from a business trip with a layercake or jellyroll for me as he knows it earns him serious brownie points!

-Just incase anyone is thinking my bf really does live up to his nickname I should tell you that recently he played the meanest trick on this poor ole fabric hoarder. He grabbed a few FQs from the back of my stash put them in a bag and presented them as a new purchase!!- he thought a bit of recycling might help reduce the evergrowing fabric moutain, however the trick backfired on him as it made me realise I really did need to refold and colour co-ordinate my stash - and this turned out to me a job for 2 so it really was Captain Kindness to the rescue!!! :-D

I am curious does anyone else find themselves keeping the 1 x 2" trimmings from precuts and if so have you found a use for them??
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 AM

I gave up fabric shopping for Lent. I use Quicken and last year I spent $2,110 on "quilting". The bright side is, my daughter came to visit yesterday and picked out fabric for her quilt. Didn't even have to go shopping! She does think I'm a hoarder, though.
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
    Originally Posted by miholmes
    What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
    Destash in a Flash Program

I feel your pain! I am willing to you. It's a twelve step program, but don't worry it will only take 12 days to complete.
    Day 1. send me a small piece of fabric, to help you let go
    Day 2. send me a larger pc of fab, part of the program
    Day 3. Send me 2 yds of fab,step program related of course
    Day 4. send me a small tote of fab, take deep breathe ok
    Day 5. send me med. tote, doing great
    Day 6. send me 2 med. totes,hang in there almost a wk
    Day 7. send me 1 lg tote, just to celebrate wk 1
    Day 8. send me 2 lg totes, starting week 2
    Day 9. send me 3 lg totes, hang in there u'r doing great
    Day 10.send me as much as you can let go of now.
    Day 11.send me everything else you don't want to keep
    Day 12. send me all that you really couldn't decide if you
    wanted to keep.
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You have just completed the program and will receive many thanks from me and a strong sense of accomplishment for yourself.
    If you should feel this addiction starting to attack you again, it is okay, I'll remain here to walk you thru again.
    It is perfectly okay to share this with any one else with the same problem. I feel it is my duty to help all those in need! :thumbup:
    Oh my gosh you are brilliant....and if you need more "counselors" let me know....for after all, I am a giver.....~~~kicking my heels up laughing like crazy~~~
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 AM

Maybe there should be a Stash Challenge posted on the board!! It looks like there would be a lot of participants.
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 AM
    Power Poster

LOL, you were just stocking up for when the price goes up!