Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with embroidered rag tote >

Help with embroidered rag tote

Help with embroidered rag tote

Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM

I want to make a rag style tote bag and for some of the squares instead of just stitching the "X" through the square I would like to add an embroidered design. I have so many questions. Should I embroider the square first then cut it to size. Should I embroider the square after it is cut to size. What type of stabilizer works best. Are there any tutorials out there for making bags like these. I am a very visual person plus I will have something to revert back to if I make more bags.

Thanks much!!

Mindy-WI
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM

It is always easier when embroidering to embroider first then cut to size. that way you can use which ever hoop you want, you can put a large design on a fairly small square if you so desire; you have much more possibilities than if you start out with the limitations of a particular sized block. Also, if you embroider, say all 6x8 blocks using your 5x7 hoop and decide that you want these cut down to 6x6 or even a 4x4 there is no problem. It is difficult to embroider a a4x4 block .
Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
It is always easier when embroidering to embroider first then cut to size. that way you can use which ever hoop you want, you can put a large design on a fairly small square if you so desire; you have much more possibilities than if you start out with the limitations of a particular sized block. Also, if you embroider, say all 6x8 blocks using your 5x7 hoop and decide that you want these cut down to 6x6 or even a 4x4 there is no problem. It is difficult to embroider a a4x4 block .
thanks for the advice I have wondered about that myself :lol: