Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with Supplies >
  • Help with Supplies

• Help with Supplies

Old 01-22-2021, 07:47 PM

Default Help with Supplies

Hi, just recently downsized in home and trying to get a small area in bedroom to sew. Got a new machine and a couple pieces of furniture. Now I need a retractable scissor thing I can attach to my machine for cutting when quilting, sewing,etc. I want one that sticks to my machine, so I have my small scissors handy always
    I know they are out there, where? Thanks Cheryl
    Old 01-22-2021, 08:47 PM
    Power Poster

Take a look at the 3M command hook display and find a hook that you can attach on your machine or close by.
    Old 01-22-2021, 11:00 PM
    DJ

Have you thought about hanging them around your neck? That's what I would do. There are also devices that clip to your clothes that you can attach small scissors to. You could look at retractable key chains that might attach to your machine.
    Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 AM

I have a small fabric tray that I placed behind my machine a bit to the right. It stays out of my way while while sewing, but is easy to reach to grab things out of. I have a lot of little things in there. My seam ripper, my stiletto, my thread snips, a few q-tips, some clips, spare needles, machine screw driver, tweezers, thangle etc. Keeps everything corralled but so easy to grab when needed.
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 AM

I like the idea of the command hook that Tartan suggested. Thank you and that sounds so doable and then I wouldn't be looking for my scissors all the time.
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 AM

Don't hang the scissors around your neck . A friend did that, and bent over to pick something up, not a pretty site. She really stabbed her leg.
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:17 AM

I am more like sewingpup when it comes to supplies at the machine side. I have a small bowl that has clips, seam ripper, thread clipper and small scissors. When it comes to sheers they are a take with item and I am very careful with my sheers. They stay mostly at the cutting table.
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:55 AM

If I understand your request, you are looking for a device with a retractable cord. That sound like a retractable badge reel. People wear them to hold their work ID. You may have to use something to substitute the hardware on the back for an adhesive patch so you can fasten it on the machine. Here's one from Amazon. They have tons. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baumgarte...Reels/27351843
    Old 01-23-2021, 08:01 AM

I collect sewing themed coffee mugs and have one next to my machine. Holds small scissor, 1x6 ruler, pen, seam ripper, etc.
    Old 01-23-2021, 08:03 AM
    Power Poster

Attach the scissors to the handle of the machine with ribbon long enough to use comfortably and let them dangle. I do this at retreats when the table space is small and stuff piles up. I was forever losing my snips. I tried the retractable thing. It wasn't that great, didn't pull out far enough.