Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!! >
  • Help!!

• Help!!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Unhappy Help!!

I start the Quilt Doodles Bom. Its done in rows, finish size is 10 1/2 by 58 1/2. My first time ever making a quilt. mine came out to be 10. I did not measure the length. I took my time 2 days on it, measure, cut, measure!! Will this make a different? Ready to give up. My feeling are pretty low right now..
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 PM

I googled Quilt Doodles Bom to see if I could help, but I wasn't able to figure out exactly how it worked. It sounds like you are concerned that it wasn't quite as wide as you though it would be. That would just mean you made a bit larger seams than 1/4. I wouldn't worry about it. Just sew up the next rows, sew them all together, and you will see that you still have a workable quilt...just a bit different size than it said it would be.

Quite often mine don't measure what the designer said they would. Just call it creative thinking, and quilt on. No quilt police will ever show up to measure!!

Hang in there. It will be okay.

Dina
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM

oh dreaded 1/2 and 1/4 inch stitch witches!

i wouldn't worry about it though. it's a sampler, so once you finish quilting and binding it, you won't even remember that you came up a bit short in the width.

aileen
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

None of us is perfect. I suspect the others are right that your seam allowances are a each a tiny bit too large, one or 2 threads in width. Go ahead and finish it. Don't worry, just learn to do the next one a tiny bit differently.
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM

I have sent you a PM. But I want to say that if you made it threw making the triangles and appliqué on your first tries, you are doing a great job!! Keep up the good work.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

I looked it up, and it's a darling BOM with all snowmen in the first row. I subscribed so I can see what the rest of the rows will be. Here's the link - http://quiltdoodledesigns.blogspot.c....html?spref=bl

In a row quilt, the height of the first row really doesn't matter. However, the length of the row (and the width of each block in the row) - which you didn't measure yet - may matter quite a bit if it doesn't match up to the remaining rows. So... it's time to work on your scant quarter inch seam. Don't be discouraged, because just about every new quilter has trouble with blocks that come out too small at first. On the next row, be sure that each block measures true to whatever it's supposed to be (10.5"?) and that the entire row measures 58.5". You may need to go back to row #1 and fix it, or you may want to just add some fabric to the ends if it's too short - that's up to you. Don't give up! You can do this!
    Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM

You sure can do this. It is really easy to feel overwhelmed. Hang in and come to the QB whenever you need help.
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM

"I looked it up, and it's a darling BOM with all snowmen in the first row. I subscribed so I can see what the rest of the rows will be. Here's the link - http://quiltdoodledesigns.blogspot.c....html?spref=bl"

Oh, this is cute! It isn't at all what I found when I googled Quilt Doodles BOM. I think I got the one from last year. The snowmen are so cute!

Dina
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Where is the rest of the quilt?