Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hexagon Quilts >
  • Hexagon Quilts

• Hexagon Quilts

Old 07-18-2014, 05:25 AM

I have never been interested in hexie quilts and all of a sudden last year I got the bug! I have completed two quilts and now in the process of sewing together a Christmas 1.5" hexie quilt. I baste mine because of the glue coming loose on the hexies. I call it my therapy. Gives my hands something to do when I am sitting in my recliner watching TV. I do have to say that it has drastically affected my reading time though. Apparently I sit around a lot! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails 2nd-hexie-quilt-2014.jpg   hexie-quilt-2014-2.jpg   hexie-quilt-2014.jpg  
    Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewbelle52
    Me too Judith Ann!! The basting takes no time at all and lasts for as long as it takes for me to get around to stitching them together. I had glued some the Sue Daley way a few months ago. When I tried sewing them together last week, the glue had dried and the fabric had come loose from the paper. Big mess! I'm sticking to basting!!

Oh! I just glued a stack using sewline glue...it was so easy, fast and fun...but you say they came apart.....yuck I better get to sewing these together...thanks for the heads up....was hoping this would be a great solution to the "basting" part! Guess not!
    Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
    Power Poster

I too have a bag of hexies as a take a long project. Imay only get a couple/few done but they do add up. My finished hexies are 2". Got some yo yos going on too!
    Originally Posted by jo bauer
    I have a tin full of cut Hexies, some finished waiting patiently to get included in the Hexie community. They are great a take along project and "I don't know what to do with my hands" TV project. The best thing is that they can be really stunning. For me it's slow going since I try to hand quilt at least one or two projects a year, sew down my bindings, and occasionally knit or crochet items that are usually gifts, so have to get them done. I guess I'll have to make a dedicated effort to get at them (along with the dresden plates, and yo-yo's. Anyone for 24/7?
    Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 AM
    Power Poster

I used Elmer's washable glue stick and the Sewling glue pen to baste my hexies. None have come loose but I don't skimp on the glue. The paper pops right out after it dries, no problem. I won't thread baste hexies anymore. That is so a waste of time to me.
    Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 AM

I love hexies! I'm with Judith Ann on this one too. I find basting hexies so relaxing! I tried the glue method but found it messy & took me longer than basting with thread. Find the method that works best for you and enjoy!
    Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by hsweany
    A hexagon quilt is on my wish list. I'm just not sure how to start.
    Go get a fiscars punch and a sewline glue pen and pick your fabric.
    Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Oh! I just glued a stack using sewline glue...it was so easy, fast and fun...but you say they came apart.....yuck I better get to sewing these together...thanks for the heads up....was hoping this would be a great solution to the "basting" part! Guess not!
    I have glued mine using a sewline pen and mine have not come loose.
    Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM

I'm thinking of working on some hexie project. Not sure what though. It's addicting though? hmm...
    Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Wow! after seeing tucson's hexie quilts, I guess I'd better get going. I especially love the black and white one. I never would have thought of those colors for a hexie. Wonderful job on both.
    Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Where did you get the fiskars punch? Can you buy a hexie punch on line? Bonnie Hunter mentioned a creative memories one with a 3/4" side. Is there such a one with a 1" side?