Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you >
  • How many of you

• How many of you

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM

i am self taught !! and still learning new things every time i am on here ! i read about quilting all the time
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

My very first foray into making quilts was through watching 'simply quilts" I eventually joined a class and still go to classes on occasion as I love the social aspect of the group. On the whole though I tend to improvise patterns I see that I like or make up as I go along.

Maybe1day
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM

When I was a new quilter, I learned from watching PBS quilting programs. My teachers were Kaye Wood,Eleanor
    Burns & Georgia Bonesteel; all great quilters(all free on PBS). Later on I moved to South Carolina and joined the local guild and then I was able to take classes and learned easier ways to doing quilting.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 PM

I've known how to sew since I was a small child. Quilting didn't start until 10 years ago. I also was a fan of Simply Quilts, but didn't really do anything with quilting then, just watched the show. The majority of my learning has been thru reading a book and following those instructions. I have taken 2 classes and did enjoy them.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Ive sewn for years, made clothes for my Mother and children, Then about 18 years ago I stated quilting. have taken some classes. But my favorite thing to do is change up patterns and recreate them.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 PM

I too am self-taught. I have always loved quilts & all the beautiful designs & have always loved fabrics, so in 1998 I tried my first quilt..a log cabin pattern. I'm still working on it. I recently learned that I should be pinning the quilt together with safety pins not straight pins. It's an over-sized queen & we sold our home & moved into a motorhome (with no slide outs or space), so it's sat in a bag until recently when a friend & I changed all the pins to safety pins, so no more bloodlettings when handling it. I've very recently finished several quilts & look forward to finishing my log cabin quilt sometime soon.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

I have taken one beginner class and liked it and now I am experimenting on my own. I love it.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Watching Simply quilts, and any other quilting/sewing show that i could. books and from knowledge gleaned here.
    Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM

I have taken classes, although my first 3 quilts were some that I learned from my Mother who was a quilter. She never had any classes, just from her mother. But I have made many quilts. I belong to a group called "Compassionate Quilters". We make lap size quilts and give them away to cancer patients, children who have had surgery, adults who are very ill or had surgery, nursing homes, or anyone who is in need of a quilt to cheer them up. To date we have given away 733 quilts. We quilt 2 days a month.
    Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM

no sewing instructions since high school.......but i've sewn all my life it seems Just jump in!