Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Inquiry: how to quilt top piece differently from bottom piece? >
  • Inquiry: how to quilt top piece differently from bottom piece?

• Inquiry: how to quilt top piece differently from bottom piece?

Old 03-12-2023, 08:21 AM

Default Inquiry: how to quilt top piece differently from bottom piece?

Hi everyone, I am new to quilting and wanted to know how you make a quilt with a top quilting design that is different from the bottom quilting design. I was thinking of getting the top piece and batting and quilting that separately, then quilting the bottom piece with its own batting separately. I'm concerned about the two layers of batting moving in between so I am considering using adhesive spray to stick the top and bottom pieces together. Then finally finishing off with binding. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on how this project might work best. Thank you for any information .

Last edited by Itchystitchy; 03-12-2023 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Grammatical error with title
    Old 03-12-2023, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

Why do you want different quilting designs on top and bottom? The purpose of quilting is to hold the quilt sandwich - the entire quilt sandwich - together. I don't think adhesive spray would do the job.
    Old 03-12-2023, 09:05 AM

I think you're on the right track. Doing minimal quilting through all layers after stitching them individually would keep them together, and probably a light weight batting so your quilt won't be too heavy.
    Old 03-12-2023, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Why do you want different quilting designs on top and bottom? The purpose of quilting is to hold the quilt sandwich - the entire quilt sandwich - together. I don't think adhesive spray would do the job.
    Hi Dunster,

For this specific project - I'm working on a Christmas quilt where the top is an image that will require free motion quilting for parts of the image (ie. outlining key areas). Aesthetically speaking the back is velvet and will not look good with the top design going to the back. I'm either going to quilt an alternate design on the back or leave it plain.

I made a demo 8x8 quilt with adhesive spray to test and it seemed to work but wasn't sure if this could be expanded to a larger side.

Based on more details above, do you have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks
    Old 03-12-2023, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SallyS
    I think you're on the right track. Doing minimal quilting through all layers after stitching them individually would keep them together, and probably a light weight batting so your quilt won't be too heavy.
    Thanks Sally - this is reassuring to know! I was surprised I could not find any videos, blogs and books with this specific ask. I appreciate you responding so quickly !
    Old 03-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Itchystitchy
    I was surprised I could not find any videos, blogs and books with this specific ask.
    Because it's generally not done. Most quilters fall into one of 2 camps - you either like the quilting pattern showing on the back, or you don't so you use a busy print to hide the quilting.

I think your plan will work if you do as Sally suggests - make sure you tack or minimally stitch the 2 completed layers together. You don't want any bunching or poofing out after they're sewn together.
    Old 03-12-2023, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Because it's generally not done. Most quilters fall into one of 2 camps - you either like the quilting pattern showing on the back, or you don't so you use a busy print to hide the quilting.

I think your plan will work if you do as Sally suggests - make sure you tack or minimally stitch the 2 completed layers together. You don't want any bunching or poofing out after they're sewn together.
    That sounds great - thank you! Yes I was looking to make more of a decorative quilt that is a bit outside the norm. Appreciate the tips!
    Old 03-13-2023, 06:23 AM

Look for batting that allows for quilting up to 10 inches apart. Suggestion-click here!
    Old 03-13-2023, 04:53 PM

My go to method for wall hangings and table runners is to quilt the backing with a layer of batting. I use the embroidery machine and quilt in the hoop. The front is a machine embroidery project and has a layer of batting quilted in it.

I use either fusible powder or a light weight fusible to hold the front and back pieces together. Then do the binding as desired.

The 2 layers of batting seem to work fine in the projects.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 03-13-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    Old 03-14-2023, 02:58 AM

An added note: If you just use the adhesive spray to hold the battings together, be aware that the adhesive spray used in quilting washes out in the wash. So you definitely want to tack the back to the front in multiple places.