Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue >
  • I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue

• I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue

Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Is the sleeve glued to the back of the quilt? Or just to itself? If it is glued to the back of the quilt, maybe you could just leave it as is and use the glued together area as the fastener, rather than sewing it too. Or is the glue on the back of the quilt and not the sleeve? If that is the case, can you make a slightly larger sleeve and cover the whole glued area and stitch it down as originally planned? If it is only on the sleeve, can you toss it and make a new one?

If it is extra strong multi purpose glue, I don't think its going to wash out.
    Old 07-09-2018, 07:18 PM
    Power Poster

That sure was the wrong glue. What made you want to use that? School glue dissolves in water and is not toxic. Kids do get it in their mouths.
    Old 07-10-2018, 04:14 AM
    Power Poster

Absolutely the wrong glue. I use Elmer’s washable school glue all the time. It washes out. Always. And doesn’t dry so hard a needle won’t go through it.
    Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 AM

I too use Elmer's washable school glue, however, I also dilute it as well. When I first tried it I did so on scraps. For me I thought it stuck tooooo good. So I diluted it...not sure about the ratio but somwhere around equal parts. But I test out and add more of what I think it needs to make the consistency I like for it to adhere. What I like best is when I try to take the seam apart I don't have to use too much force...you know...so it doesn't stretch the material at the seam/
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 AM

Always use Elmer's Washable Glue. I always dilute the glue when I am using it. Have not had any problems using it that way. And, I love sandwiching the quilt with the glue; makes it so much easier to quilt. The glue is all removed after I wash the quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 AM

If it is adhered so we’ll why do you have to stitch it.
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Basic Elmers glue is just PVA (most glues are a version of this simply with different amounts of water added). So by soaking it in water, it will eventually dissolve. The problem is #1 you have heat set it with the iron so it could take quite awhile to soften and dissolve. But #2 is what is the added element to make it 'extra strong'. Check the ingredients label and you should be able to google that ingredient and it will have info on removing it. Please let us know what you find out, I'm sure it will be helpful to many of us. Good luck.
    Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Don't feel bad about using the wrong glue and overdoing it. A friend of mine used the right glue and glued it like her life depended on it. Ruined her quilt. (blamed me for it) It sounds like your sleeve is secure, so just hang it.
    Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM

When I use glue, I place it where my needle won't be stitching so it doesn't gum up my needle. I glue my quilt lables to the backside, stitching down 2 outer sides and leaving one side only to be hand stitched during the time I'm hand stitching the binding to the backside. I make triangle labels so that leaves only one side that has to be hand stitched.
    Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM

I'm sure you are saying to yourself that was a fail but I'm just as sure you'll find a use for that glue someday ... and, yes, I've had that experience too. Washing (or soaking area with water) and trying again will save your project. Or you could use it like this for a while ... until the glue weakens or disolves. One more lesson learned.