Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
janome serger >

janome serger

janome serger

Old 06-30-2022, 02:33 PM

Default janome serger

My son got a janome serger I have not used a serger are they worth getting to know how they work? Anyone use a serger and if so what projects ?
Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 PM

Making T-shirts (and other knit fabric clothing) with a serger is so quick and easy. A lot of people make pillowcases and pajama pants. The hem on knits isn't done with a serger. It usually looks best with a coverstitch machine, but can be copied wit a double needle in a regular sewing machine. I know some people make quilts with them, but not detailed, pieced quilts.

It's also handy for finishing the raw edge of fabric before you wash it, so it won't unravel.

I keep my serger up and ready to use, and probably use it every month.

I just made 10 chair covers from knit fabric, on my serger, to cover the ones at work that are showing their stuffing.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:13 AM

Does anybody remember Kaye Wood making quilts on the serger? I think our guild made some for charity projects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLWm5jkAJ0 This is a link to her Youtube video making her "6 Hour Quilt".
Old 07-07-2022, 09:02 PM

I just used my serger to go around the quilt sandwich before I put the binding on. I've only done the one, but it sure seemed easier to sew and lays nicely.