Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for permission to press my seams open >
  • Looking for permission to press my seams open

• Looking for permission to press my seams open

Old 02-18-2020, 02:29 PM

I learned from Sharlene Jorgensen and she said she always presses her seams open. I don’t do it all the time but with some quilts it’s a necessity. Do what you have to!
    Old 02-18-2020, 04:07 PM

I did it on one quilt, one I consider my top of the pile show stopper. I did it because I didn't want any one fabric to 'come forward' when viewed. The fabric you press to, always rises a bit which showcases that piece or pieces. I used a little smaller stitch length though because at my normal 2.0 the thread showed in the stitching line. .
    Old 02-18-2020, 04:17 PM

I just love this forum. I have learned so much here. I guess I am in the old fashion group, pressing my seams to one side, however after reading this thread, I am going to give this a try. I was told many many years ago in a class to never press my seams open and so never really have on a top. I am always open to new to me technique, thank you Iceblossom for your input, your post has encouraged me to try something new.
    Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 PM
    Power Poster

I'm seeing more and more people doing tutorials using open seams. If it works I say go for it!
    Old 02-18-2020, 04:56 PM

For those that try it, keep in mind you need a short stitch length for both open seams and the modern strip piecing methods --- that is any time you sew a strip and then cut that strip. I'm so used to the old per inch methods that I don't really understand the new computerized dials and such. I do know that my modern Bernina 820's default stitch was much too long. As is the default stitch of basically all my friends when I watch them just sit down and sew. So I believe my Bernina defaulted to 2.5, which I usually ran down to 2.1 because 2 made the machine too slow and balky for me.
    Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM

I press open all my diagonal seams and anywhere that bulk is going to be a problem. For example on a 4 patch I press to the side on the first step so that I can nest the seams together and then press the final seam open. I don’t have the patience for fanning the center.
    Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 PM

I hadn't even heard of "pressing to the dark side" before this board.
    Until I found this site, my only instruction/input came from my Jr. High Home Economics teacher. She taught me to steam open my seams, so I just continued when I started "sewing squares together". Since stitch in the ditch is the only way I thought of to quilt the layers together, that's all I've ever done.

Good luck with your little pieces. Take lots of breaks
    Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 PM

I'm another fan of pressing seams open. My stitch length is 1.75, and I don't hesitate to stitch in the ditch. This way of piecing has solved so many problems.
    Old 02-19-2020, 04:21 AM

Another confirmed open presser. Comes from years of garment making and having your work lay totally flat. It also makes my points/intersections line up much better and more easily. I do use lots of pins.
    Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Thank you so much for all the tips and the link. I'm glad to hear others press their seams open. To me it seems so much neater and with less bulk. I do have a heck of a lot of squares to seam up and press open. Even more daunting is that I over cut them all so once they are pressed I will have to cut all them down to size. I can't wait for the end result.