Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • making 4 patch blocks >
  • making 4 patch blocks

• making 4 patch blocks

Old 02-17-2020, 05:05 AM

Thx so much. As I was sewing I kinda remember Fons and Porter saying just that. Today is another day. Hope it is better. Thx again ladies.
    Old 02-17-2020, 06:08 AM

Bonnie Hunter talks about this. Go to Quiltville.com and under her Tips and Techniques scroll down to "Spin Those Four Patch Seams"

I have just made 21 4 patches and I was thrilled because they all are nested and all my intersections are wonderful. I just ironed to the dark side and then as I fed them through the machine made sure that one seam pointed in each direction. I have done them over a weeks time as Leaders/Enders. Now I have to go back and check if they are all going in the same direction.

Last edited by Kelsie; 02-17-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: additional information
    Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 AM

Once I learned to use a glue stick, I never looked back ! Perfect matches every time. You just run a line of glue, nest them together, flip the top piece back estimating your 1/4"..if it's lined up, pinch it, if not, the glue lets you easily slide the pieces to get them right. When you're doing many of them, they dry before you get to your machine, if just a few, hit them with a dry iron before sewing. The glue looks unsightly on your blocks sometimes, but it always washes right out.
    Old 02-18-2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    When you sew the pairs together to form the 4 patch, the top seam allowance should point towards the needle and the bottom seam allowance down. You may need to hold the top allowance with a pin so the foot doesn’t catch on it as you sew over it. This makes the intersections lock together when you sew for a nice match in the center.
    She said the seams were going in opposite directions; so pressed open. I think the only way to get pressed open seams to line up perfectly would be to pin every time. It's so much easier to line up seams pressed to one side while nesting them. If the top seam is pressed away from you, as Tartan said, they snug right up as they go into the needle. A wooden skewer or awl of some sort helps to tuck that seam allowance under the presser foot.