Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first binding project! >

My first binding project!

My first binding project!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Yea - I finally unraveled the mystery of sewing binding onto the front! I am doing a table runner for myself and am now hand sewing the back - grrr. this old girl's eyes just aint what they used to be! I don't know if I like hand sewing the back - I love the look but I am having a hard time seeing it. Glasses on, glasses off - you get the picture :cry:
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM

one stitch one inch done and xxxx more to go - yeah you are closer to finishing, keep it up, you can do it, go go go
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I get the picture. The other day I reached up to take my glasses off so I could see better, only to discover I'd already taken them off. Bummer! My Bernina has a set of magnifying glasses that you can order that fasten on the machine. I am seriously considering them.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Congrats on the binding skill :) UNDERSTAND the eye thing. Finally gave up & got a second pair of prescription glasses just for sewing!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Yay....Its so much funner to finish when you get binding down - it prevented me from finishing things - but now I got it so its so much nicer - great accomplishment - I understand about the eyes too - I just turned 46 and now I cannot see that little eye on that needle.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Like the others who've already responded, I like hand-stitching the back side of the binding. After piecing and quilting by machine, it gives me a lovely opportunity to spend a different kind of time with the quilt. This little contribution feels more personal.

I use a "ladder stitch" to affix the back side of the binding - something I learned here on the QB - and it makes a big difference in terms of my feeling like my time spent on binding is worthwhile!

So if you need to use bifocals/cheaters/whatever, GO FOR IT!

Just my humble opinion
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM

I do all my binding by machine. I just don't have the finger dexterity or strength to hand sew. All my quilts are give aways, so no judges to say it shouldn't be done like that. And because of all the help that I have gotten through this board, like using school glue to set the binding in place, before sewing, binding is now a pleasure, because I know that is the final step. Time for a HAPPY DANCE, then.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM

I use half glasses. You don't have to take them off and on--just look over the top when you need to see distance and look down when you need close up work.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM

I bought a pair of magnifiers that clip on my regular glasses that I use for that & I'd be lost without them! They're pricey from JoAnn's (online only), but oh SO worth it for me!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Sewing the binding by hand used to be my least favorite part of making a quilt, but now I rather enjoy it. Maybe it will grow on you too!