Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Help >
  • Need Help

• Need Help

Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 AM

Default Need Help

I'm making a tablerunner out of the pictured fabric. I want to do 9 inch blocks down the center but don't know what to do in between the blocks and around the border. I have some coordinating fabric to use. I don't want just a plain straight border, maybe hst or something. Also, I'm not sure about the off white fabric. The background of the main fabric is a lot darker than showing in the picture. It is more gold and dark yellow. Do you think the off white would be too stark with the dark fabrics? Anyone have suggestions or patterns I can try? I'm very new at quilting. Thanks in advance for your help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473434[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails terries-tablerunner.jpg  
    Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Well I am pretty new too, but I agree the white is stark. I love the turquoise/green but HST with the gold, not too sure about that. Hope some more experienced person comes to your rescue. Will look forward to seeing the picture of finished project.

I don't know what size the repeat is. Could you fussy cut the print and mix it up with some pinwheels? I've been wanting to do something with similar fabric but haven't purchased because I didn't know what to do. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Power Poster

I would go with more cream than stark white. The cream would be enough to make it pop. Love the pattern material.
    Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

Pretty fabric! You can do the 10 minute tablerunner with just two fabrics. I would try that one with the picture fabric and the tan.
    You could also do the French Braid one that starts with a focus square in the center with braids on both ends. I have made prettier ones using this pattern but thus the only one I have around right now.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 04-28-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM
    Power Poster

Pull your coordinating fabrics for your runner from the soft pastel background colors for the blocks and use the brown as an accent color for a small border and then use a strip of the main fabric again as the outside border. It will be a softer look and have the images pop from the accent of the brown.

Many free patterns for table runners are at the different fabric maker's sites. You could check around and find one you like. There are so many runner patterns out there to buy as well! Visit a local quilt shop for some inspiration. That would be fun.

Red Rooster, Robert kauffman, Moda Bake Shop are a few on line places to look for free ones. Then there is the allpeoplequilt and McCall's Quilt Magazines site have free table runner patterns too.

If that isn't enough, you can check at the quilt shop chat rooms like fatquartershop.com or connectingthreads.com . All you are looking for is an all over print pattern. Then you can imagine your print as the replacement. You see? You can imagine your runner, or do a mock up on paper with snippets of fabric.

ps) The reason many of us use a plain border of fabric as the last design element is because it stabilizes the blocks and is Much easier to lie flat and bind.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Those are some good ideas. Thanks.
    Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM

I will take a pic of the 2 table runners I've made with a dominant fabric when I get home about 3:30. I know I have a pic somewhere but can't find it easily
    Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Some great ideas. I like this free pattern, you could finish it off with a plain border to help it lie flat. http://www.fatquartershop.com/free-q...-quilt-pattern
    Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

These are both from the same pattern and the one on the bottom is how they made it but I didn't really like it so I made it the way the first one is.
    Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg