Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new sewing machine >
  • new sewing machine

• new sewing machine

Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi! My husband brought me a new sewing machine. It's a bernina. Model auroa 440 with a embroidery system.I love it but I'm not very good with computers. I'm not able to use it as I'm unable to hook it up.I'm iching to get started My computer man (son-in-law)moved to Iowa before he could set me up.Any information to help me get started would be helpfull.Sometimes it feels like there is no one I know to ask.Thank You Dawn Does anyone live near Latham NY that wants to be a quilting buddy?
    Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Your local dealer should offer classes.
    Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
    Power Poster

You should be able to sew with it without hooking it up to a computer. Just plug the foot pedal into the machine, and the machine into the wall.

Where did your husband buy the machine? Dealers offer free lessons for new machines; that is how you would learn how to do the embroidery, etc.
    Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 PM

The embroidery element of this machine requires a hookup to computer, I have this 440EE myself.

Yes, your dealer should offer classes in this machine (sewing AND embroidery), Free if you bought the machine from them!
    Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    You should be able to sew with it without hooking it up to a computer. Just plug the foot pedal into the machine, and the machine into the wall.

Where did your husband buy the machine? Dealers offer free lessons for new machines; that is how you would learn how to do the embroidery, etc.
    Congratulations on you new machine. That is a very nice machine. I do (strongly) recommend that you buy a surge protector to plug it in with. Just like the one that you use on a computer. Then if you have a power outage or surge it won't fry your machine. You can find one just about anywhere, just make sure it is a surge protector and not just a power strip.
    Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM

My first Bernina was a 440QE. Loved it! Prism99 is right. You can sew without it being hooked up to the computer. It is the embroidery that requires that. I would recommend learning your way around the machine for regular sewing first, then learning the embroidery would be easier. I agree, if your DH got the machine from a dealer, they should offer mastery classes. I took them for my 440 and when I upgraded to the 730 I took them for that machine. You learn so many little tips. If you go to the Bernina website, there are some videos and I found some on youtube also.

Just did a search and it looks like there is a Bernina dealer in Albany, NY. Is that near you?