Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper Piecing >
  • Paper Piecing

• Paper Piecing

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM

I am scared to try it....every time I look at the directions I get all confused! Guess I need to take a class, too.
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 PM

I like it too. Right now I am in the middle of doing some of the Freedom Blocks for my brother's quilt and those little pieces can be a pistol! Today, without exaggeration, it took me almost a half hour to get the very last section
    done for the Patriot's Day Star block. Not sure how many times I took a seam out and re-did it. Realized I had made the mistake of cutting the fabric wrong and it kept stretching to the left on those last few stitches, causing the end of the seam to be a tad more than an 1/8th of an inch instead of the 1/4".
    Paper piecing is my favorite way of getting those flying geese exactly right.
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm just learning. One of the sweet lady's at the WA/OR retreat last weekend was kind enought to show me how to do it. I spent yesterday finding a pattern and printing some foundation pieces. Today I spent sewing it. I just finished putting the block together and realized I put it together wrong so it looks a little wonky, but still not bad. I will try to do it right tomorrow.
    From what I have done so far, I really do enjoy it. Once you get the concept it really is quite easy. and you get great points. Someday I will do a full project but for now, I will practice. Besides i've been wanting to make some mug rugs, this is a good way to practice and make something.
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm right there with ya! I love to PP as the points are always so crisp and sharp. Can't wait to see your pictures.
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM

http://www.lenzula.com has some nice patterns and a BOM going on now. Christine Thresh is another paper piecer that had interesting patterns. Silver Linings Originals and Claudia's Quilt Shop are great if you like realistic paper pieced animals. Siefert & Schartz used to have Zippy Designs and they published a magazine that was mainly paper-piecing articles but I think it has changed over the years and may even be gone.
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 PM

I love it! Just learned in April of this year and haven't been able to put it down. I bought the "50 Paper pieced Stars" book by Carol Doak. I'm still working on the stars.
    Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 PM

I love the look of paper piecing but seem to have a little trouble with it at times. I dislike how it uses so much fabric or maybe I just don't know how to cut it correctly.
    Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Try Carol Doak, she's the best!! I learned how to paper piece with her. You can't go wrong.

Originally Posted by SLHughes
    I have now found another new addiction. Paper Piecing!!! Wow, I didn't realize how much fun it is and so easy. I took my very first class in it last week and really enjoyed it.

Does anyone else out there really enjoy paper piecing? If so do you know of any great sites to go to for easy patterns for paper piecing??

I cant wait to finish my first project and will post a pic later when completed.
    Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

I love paper piecing and like others have said google search and carol doak
    Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 AM

When I first started PP I found it frustrating but after watching some videos on YouTube & getting some tips, I found I like it. Sharp lines & points. Still takes me longer than I'd like but love the results.