Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pieced Backing Help Needed >
  • Pieced Backing Help Needed

• Pieced Backing Help Needed

Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Pieced Backing Help Needed

I just finished this top. It will be a Christmas gift for my DD and family. It is a throw size for their sofa.
    I would like to do a pieced backing, either rectangles or stripes, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around how to do it so everything is even on the back because of the extra 3 o 4 inches you are supposed to add when you put the sandwich together. I'm sure someone on here will be able to explain so this newbie can understand. Thank you!

The second picture are the colors I'm thinking about using for the back.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn1811.jpg   dscn1814.jpg  
    Old 10-24-2014, 03:12 PM
    Power Poster

When you put your quilt sandwich together you center it on your larger batting/ backing, the excess is trimmed away when you square up the quilt after quilting is completed. So, think about your backing as the outside few inches being cut away.
    Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 PM

I like to sketch mine on paper first. I usually measure the top, add however much I want extra to figure out the total size of the back. Once I have an idea of what I want to do, then I play with measurements based on how much fabric I have to work with. Often, I will take the back length measurement and divide by 3. I usually round up/down to the nearest 5 just to make it easy on me. I usually put a strip of something between the smaller and larger pieces. Sometimes I will make a wider strip or strip of blocks, and add a narrow strip on either side, then put that between the smaller/larger backing pieces. Here is a link I started a while back to show some pics of backs.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t148395.html
    Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. Better get out the graph paper! And katier, I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your backs.
    Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 AM
    Power Poster

Be careful not to create a lot of seams on the back because sometimes stitches will be skipped due to the bulk of the top and backing layers of seams and the batting.
    Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the advice Maniac. I've about decided to chuck my idea and use the leftover print for the middle of the back and use the blue as a border. I'll gain a little more experience before I try the pieced back.
    Old 10-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Piecing backs isn't hard, I do it often, mainly because I didn't buy enough fabric. Just start in the middle and build out. Or start on one side and build out. Just remember those seams, the more seams, the more issues you MAY have, not necessarily will have. The only trouble I have is when I hand quilt with multi-seams on the back. So my stitches are not perfect at that spot. See if you can find it, on horseback, at a gallop, holding a chicken! LOL Your quilt, your rules.
    Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM

Piecing your quilt back doesn't have to be centered and perfect. Throw some complimentary colors together and don't try for symmetry. It looks better that way. I throw in extra blocks, and strips.
    Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 AM

It is almost impossible for a longarmer to perfectly center a pieced back because of attachment to leaders and take up as you stitch. Horizontal is more likely to be accurate than vertical. I would recommend discussing it with your longarmer before proceeding so you get the best result possible. If you are fmqing yourself do as suggested above.
    Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 AM

I always off set my pieced backs due to the impossibility of hitting exact center. I make throws usually 48-56 inches wide. I cut 10-12 inches off one side of a back and add extra blocks to the "middle". This way it doesn't matter if it is 6" off to one side or closer to center.