Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pivoting. >
  • Pivoting.

• Pivoting.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 PM

Default Pivoting.

In previous quilts where I have done walking foot straight line quilting that has required pivoting, eg when echoing chevrons, I have always been concerned about getting drag or cross pulling of my fabric when I pivot and start my next row in the opposite direction. Does anyone have any tips for successful pivoting?
    Old 03-30-2018, 10:51 PM

I don't have anything special for you, just make sure you are needle down, then lift the presser foot before the pivot. If my pivot isn't going to be in the exact place I want it, I will lift the foot and scooch it the mm or 2 it needs to be in the perfect place. This only works making a stitch shorter, not longer. If shorter, the machine will take up the slack and the tension will be ok. If longer, it might be too tight and break the thread.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: remove political statement as confusing to members outside USA
    Old 03-31-2018, 03:59 AM

Make sure the fabric under the needle is flat and smooth. Check to see that the quilt is in line with the direction you are turning. Example, If you pivot for a 45 degree angle, check that you aren't at 42 degrees, etc.

Slow down when pivoting and be sure there is no bunching of fabric under the needle area. Hope that helps!
    Old 03-31-2018, 07:49 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by themadpatter
    I don't have anything special for you, just make sure you are needle down, then lift the presser foot before the pivot. If my pivot isn't going to be in the exact place I want it, I will lift the foot and scooch it the mm or 2 it needs to be in the perfect place. This only works making a stitch shorter, not longer. If shorter, the machine will take up the slack and the tension will be ok. If longer, it might be too tight and break the thread.
    It works to move it either way. I do it all the time. The presser foot is up so there's no tension on the thread and besides, a mm isn't going to break thread.

Cari
    Old 04-01-2018, 11:43 AM

I quilted a queen size TAW a couple years ago, and stitched in the ditch on every seam. I am now a qualified expert in turning corners. Lol. The best thing I can say is; Do not try to hurry your turns. Several times I turned the fabric a few times with the needle down, to get the corner to be smooth enough to stitch. My blocks were 2.5” x 3”, with an 8” sold fabric border, so I turned lots and lots of corners.
    Old 04-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Sometimes you may need to change the stitch length right before you pivot to get your needle in the right place. I quilt with a 3 or 3.5 and one stitch can sometimes extend beyond the pivot point. This will, hopefully, eliminate having to shift fabric a mm once pivoted to realign.
    Old 04-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I quilted a queen size TAW a couple years ago, and stitched in the ditch on every seam. I am now a qualified expert in turning corners. Lol. The best thing I can say is; Do not try to hurry your turns. Several times I turned the fabric a few times with the needle down, to get the corner to be smooth enough to stitch. My blocks were 2.5” x 3”, with an 8” sold fabric border, so I turned lots and lots of corners.
    I would say you are an expert at turning corners!!