Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about spray adhesive >
  • Question about spray adhesive

• Question about spray adhesive

Old 06-07-2021, 01:04 PM

Default Question about spray adhesive

I've made a flimsy that I plan to back but not put batting in. I'm thinking the best way to adhere them together would be to spray them with quilting adhesive instead of pinning (it's a Cal. King size). What have you found that works best & does not gum up your machine when quilting?
    Any other suggestions that you might have for me would be appreciated.....like....would I just quilt it like a regular quilt but without the batting? Have anyone done this before & how did it work for you? I'm afraid of bunching & puckering of one or both of the sides & I don't want that. I don't want to tie it so that method is out of the question.
    Thanks so much!!!
    Old 06-07-2021, 03:27 PM

for a spray I love 505 temporary adhesive, doesn't gum up the needle and no odor. It is supposed to be harmless but I always wear a safety mask when I use it, especially for a large quilt. My own choice, I don't see any benefit of inhaling any type of fumes.
    Old 06-07-2021, 06:46 PM

I agree on using spray adhesive. Elmer's glue works well when using batting but not a good choice for this.
    Old 06-08-2021, 04:54 AM

I too am a big Elmer's Glue fan but don't think I would use it for this project. Spray adhesive for quilting sounds like your best bet.
    Old 06-09-2021, 02:44 AM

I use "Spray N Bond Quilt Basting Spray" from JoAnn's. (Purple and white can.) It holds, does not gum up my needle, and does the job. I catch it when there is a good coupon, I can get two large quilts or three throw quilts from a can of spray. At my JoAnn's it is located in the notions area and not with the other basing products.

Forgot to mention that this basting product does not smell or have that chemical odor.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-09-2021 at 02:50 AM.
    Old 06-09-2021, 05:18 AM

A good washable spray would be fine, I have been using 505 on embroidery and quilt projects for 20+ years. It has never gummed up a needle. It takes just a small amount of spray.
    Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 AM

When you use a basting spray, don't the directions say to spray it directly onto the batting? I wonder how it would work with trying to get the two layers of just cotton fabric to adhere without getting wrinkles?